Are You The Drowning Man?

Are You The Drowning Man?

Walking by faith can make all the difference.

68
Are You The Drowning Man?

Are you the drowning man? I recently started reading a book by Shelia Walsh called Praying Women: How to Pray When You Don't Know What to Say. Y'all, when I tell you that I have gotten so much from this book in such a short amount of time would be an understatement.

In the first chapter of the book, she talks about the account in Matthew where Jesus walks on water. In Matthew 14:22-31, the Bible says: "And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away. And when he has sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone. But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out of fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"

Peter is tested here on his ability to walk by faith and not be distracted by what he can see. When he started to doubt the ability of Jesus to get him across the water safely, he started to sink. 2 Corinthians 5:7 says, "For we walk by faith, not by sight." What Peter had was doubtfulness and we all have that as human beings. While our situations do not necessarily compare to Peter, our doubtfulness can be just as costly as Peter's was.

As a recent college graduate, I am struggling with doubtfulness myself. Trying to find a job in the middle of a pandemic is more than difficult. With my situation, it is easy to only look at what can be seen and not consider what God may be lining up for me. We have the ability to call upon Jesus and ask for help and use our faith in Him to guide our path. It is easy to "drown" in the doubtfulness of life, but we do not have to stay there. Keep your sight fixed on Him and see your doubtfulness disappear.