To The Man Who Jumped Onto Train Tracks For My Friend's Phone, Your Life's Worth More Than That

Here's what happened when my friend dropped his phone through the train track gap.

51

Now I know most of us can't go five minutes without being on or near our cell phones... so what would you do if you dropped your phone on the train tracks? I never thought this would ever happen to me or any of my friends because we don't go on the railroad very often and the gap between the platform and the train is fairly slim right? So the other weekend a few friends and I decided to go into NYC for the night but decided (a few stops from where we got on) that we actually wanted to go to a local party. As we exited the train... can you guess what happened?

My friend dropped his phone right through the platform gap.

The train left the station and we had called an Uber to get us to go to the party, but we didn't know what to do about his phone! He was freaking out, debating whether or not he should jump down to get it. It was CRAZY. Like the odds of someone's phone turning to exactly 180 degrees as it's falling and going straight through the gap is just so slim.

As my friend is freaking out, we were trying to think of all these different ways to get it: holding his feet to reach down (but it was like a 6-foot drop), looking at the train schedule to calculate how much time we had to jump down and run to the nearest railroad crossing... like, WTF... and then we realized: wait a sec... it's so not even worth it. Two minutes later a GINORMOUS freight train came by and took about five minutes to pass. It went right over the phone and we were like, "a'ight it's a goner."

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.

A strange man was the only other person at the train station at the time and he kept saying "I'll jump down and get it," "I'll do it don't worry." So first of all, why would some stranger risk his life to get someone else's phone? And second of all... WHY WOULD SOME STRANGER RISK HIS LIFE TO GET SOMEONE ELSE'S PHONE? I really wanted no part of this, I was scared and was like, this just isn't worth losing your life.

Long story short, all of my friends and I got in the Uber and started to drive across the tracks by the railroad crossing and we see the strange guy running... WITH THE PHONE IN HIS HAND! He jumped down and got the phone. TEN SECONDS LATER THE NEXT TRAIN CAME. TEN SECONDS. That man could have DIED on our watch. Scary shit. We opened the Uber door and my friend ran after him to get it. It had his credit card, school ID, money and driver's license in his phone case so that could've been a messy situation. But the phone is safe and so is everyone involved in this crazy story. All is good.

Moral of the story: you can always get a new phone but you don't have a life to spare, so if this ever happens to you... good luck, Charlie!