Dreams

Dreams

They're Alive
9

What did you dream about when you were a little child? Maybe you had nightmares and refused to sleep without a plush doll. Maybe there were monsters hiding under your bed, waiting viciously every night to come steal you and take you. Maybe that’s why you always slept completely under the covers, with absolutely no part of your body exposed to the air, just to make sure they wouldn’t get you. Have you ever considered what your dreams meant? What if the monster’s movements were a metaphor for what your thoughts would be growing up. Maybe the little person in you, young, and full of imagination, found your elder self in the dark stars and corners of your mind, without you even knowing it?

The word ‘dream’ is a big word. It’s vast, endless, and open to so many interpretations. A dream could be the rollercoaster that took you over the edge, or a thought that inspired you to doodle in your notebook. It could mean almost anything, so long as you apply it in a safe, positive way. It’s kind of like looking up into the clouds and imagining what they look like. In this case, you’re looking up, out, anywhere and everywhere. Maybe you’re not even looking at all. Maybe your search isn’t a really search, maybe it’s a stumbling upon. Maybe it’s accident, that turns into something amazing, something that you’re proud of, and it came from just a glance inside your mind.

It’s kind of hard to think about things that are so unclear. It is difficult to consider the blatantly unimaginable. It’s like going into a dark, cold room. You try to look for the light, but there’s nothing to be found at all. Instead, the articles of confusion consider you to think about an idea, maybe more than one, that may drive a purpose and a reason.

What are you doing to make your dreams a reality?

Is it in a professional setting? A personal setting? Maybe you were sitting bored at your desk and you were dreaming about a sandwich. Maybe you dreamed about owning a nice car. Maybe you dreamed about going on a vacation to a beautiful place. What are you doing to achieve that? Are you acting on your dream? What are you doing to turn that dream into something other than a thought? Truth is, that is all it will stay, a thought, if you don’t do anything about it. If you don’t do it quick enough, it will linger forever, and eventually, if you don’t keep track of it, it may even slip away.

This whole dream thing sounds weird, right? It’s kind of hard to wrap my head around it myself. I have three things that remind me about how important it is to stay dreaming and stay inspired. One, a sterling silver ring that stays on my ring finger that simply says ‘dream’. Two, a Cinderella pillow case that says the infamous quote ‘a dream is a wish your heart makes.’ Lastly, a Morrissey pillow case that says, ‘I haven’t had a dream in a long time.’ Dreams truly bring my head down to earth. They make me realize that all my ideas, my inspiration, comes within myself, and my drive to create starts with a dream in my head, and I’ll never let them go.

Dreams, they are simple, understated, and go unnoticed often; however, they are one of the most unique and universal concepts. Dreams; they live within you. It’s within your creative control to decide how you paint them on a canvas.