Dreaming God-Sized Dreams

Dreaming God-Sized Dreams

Aligning our dreams with His Plan

164
Dreaming God-Sized Dreams
Wikimedia

College marks a time of big-dreaming. Dreaming of the wonderful places you will go, the great job you will have, and the awesome people you will meet. Dreaming ushers in a sense uncertainty. When you cannot see what will become of your unfinished dreams, you begin to wonder if they will ever come to pass. In spite of the unknown laced within the vagueness of unaccomplished dreams, dream big anyway, aligning your intentions with the heart of God.

Nehemiah dreamed the seemingly impossible because God planted a daunting desire in his heart. At a time when Jerusalem stood vulnerable and unguarded from enemies, with the wall in ruins and the gate destroyed, God began to work in the life of Nehemiah, an exiled Jew. Nehemiah, a mere cupbearer to the king, came before King Artaxerxes of Persia with the plea to allow him to return to Judah to rebuild the wall. Because God was already at work within the king, Artaxerxes not only allowed Nehemiah’s travel to Judah, but he provided him the timber for the wall and a cavalry for protection.

Nehemiah rallied the people of Jerusalem to take part in this arduous process of rebuilding. With foes against him, Nehemiah remained consistent and persistent in the difficult task. The completion of the wall came in a seemingly impossible 52 days and the “surrounding nations were afraid and lost their self-confidence, because they realized that this work had been done by the help of our God” (Nehemiah 6:18).

How did Nehemiah remain faithful and unwavering in God’s will for him, and ultimately, his people? He prayed. Throughout the entire process, Nehemiah sought the LORD before making a move and God blessed this act of dependence abundantly. God allowed something more to blossom from Nehemiah’s bold obedience: thousands of exiles returned to Judah, revival occurred, and the “sound of rejoicing in Jerusalem could be heard from faraway” (Nehemiah 12:43). Nehemiah’s story teaches that God uses ordinary people to accomplish mighty feats of His glory and that God will finish the work He began. Be open and receptive to the dreams He places on your heart.

Pray audaciously for God to move mightily as He did in Nehemiah’s time and pray for dreams molded around God’s calling for your life.

In a season of lofty dreaming, consider the intentions of the One who knows your life in its entirety. May He plant a God-sized dream in your heart that only He can accomplish.

As you travel the journey of the unseen as you discover your purpose, follow the One who knows the Way. As you strive to become who He created you to be, seek to align your dreams with His Plan, knowing that He has greater things in store and allow Him to lead you to places beyond your limited view. Become sensitive to the Spirit nudging you in the direction of His will for your life.

Dream in anticipation for the future, knowing that wonderful things are yet to come. Dream the seemingly impossible, as Nehemiah did, and watch as God exceeds your wildest expectations. Most importantly, dream with reliance on Him, knowing that His Plan is far beyond your wildest imagining.