Dreamers Walk 250 Miles To Advocate For DREAM Act
Politics

The Dreamers are fighting for a path to citizenship in the only country they know as home.

74
Eduardo Samaniego

Immigration is a very divisive topic in the United States, particularly when it comes to undocumented immigrants. Not every immigrant has a say in how they come to this country as many undocumented immigrants were brought here as children. They are known as Dreamers and every day they are at risk of being deported back to the countries in which they were born, but never knew as home.

The United States is their home, but the U.S. government can’t seem to agree on what to do with them. The DREAM (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors) Act would provide an easier path for Dreamers to become U.S. citizens and lessen their fear of deportation to a country they don’t know. The act was first proposed in the Senate in 2001. It failed to pass and has been reintroduced multiple times since, never managing to pass.

A group of Dreamers decided to walk all the way from New York to Washington D.C. to bring attention to their cause. According to their fundraising page, they are walking, “…to demand congress passes a DREAM Act and listens to the overwhelming majority of Americans who support a path to citizenship for Dreamers.” They are led by Eduardo Samaniego, a Dreamer and advocate for immigration reform. Samaniego is currently sharing videos and stories from their walk on socialmedia.

Their walk began on February 15and is to last 15 days. During this walk they have experienced kindness from strangers that support their cause. A restaurant owner heard what they were walking for and provided them with sandwiches, coffee, and snacks for the road. Churches have hosted them and strangers have given them money to help them on their journey.

The Dreamers are pushing through sprained ankles and blisters to fight for a path to citizenship in the only country they know as home. If you would like to support them, you can donate here.