Dream Theater: 'Images and Words' Album Review

Dream Theater made an incredible leap in song writing that would result in one of the most impressive progressive metal albums of all time
282

Line-up:

James LaBrie - vocals

Kevin Moore - keyboards

John Petrucci - guitars, backing vocals

Mike Portnoy - drums, backing vocals

John Myung - bass

Additional info:

Produced by David Prater

Images and Words is the second studio album by American progressive metal band Dream Theater, released on July 7, 1992 through ATCO Records. Its total length is 57:04. It is the first Dream Theater release to feature James LaBrie on vocals. This album was not only a huge success when it comes to the band's massive amount of progression in song writing, but also the commercial success that the album had.

Images and Words demonstrates the band at their finest thanks to improved vocals and impressive instrumental elements throughout. I really enjoyed the soulful elements as well that made Dream Theater's technical mastery be balanced with emotion and lyricism that make their brand of progressive metal special. Their are no glaring weaknesses on the album.

Top Tracks:

1. "Under a Glass Moon"

2. "Metropolis—Part I: 'The Miracle and the Sleeper' "

3. "Take the Time"

4. "Pull Me Under"

Grading Scale:

1-1.5: Garbage

2-2.5: Awful

3-3.5: Bad

4-4.5: Disappointing

5-5.5: Mediocre

6-6.5: Satisfactory

7-7.5: Good

8-8.5: Great

9-9.5: Excellent

10: Perfect

My Verdict:

Images and Words is an amazing album that I have loved since I first listened to it. The album is full of Dream Theater classics and features Labrie's finest vocal performance as well. John Petrucci is also fantastic throughout this entire album as well. Images and Words is a perfect album from start to finish.

Grade: 10/10