Your Age Doesn't Matter When It Comes To Achieving Your Dreams

Don't compare your life to someone else's.

327

Your dream could be running a marathon. Or learning how to play the guitar. Or getting that top position in the company you work for.

It doesn't matter what point you are at in your life or even your age. You are never too young or too old to learn a new language or go back to school. Just don't compare where your life is at to someone who has put in more years and time than you.

I was visiting a friend of mine last month in Sydney and she called me out big time. We were talking about our lives and what we want to do in the future to come. Something I've wanted to do was change my major, yet again.

I'm currently a student at Southern New Hampshire University and working towards my Bachelor's degree in finance with a concentration in investing. I still want to acquire this degree, mostly for my own knowledge of having a better financial future for myself and even share that with the ones close to me.

I was talking to my friend about how I interested I am law. Partly because of my interest in so many criminal law shows I've been watching, it got me thinking about getting my degree in some type of law. But then, I was hesitant about starting over again and going to school for even longer.

Let me rewind for a second. my friend and I were talking about some people we knew having a timeline of their life; when they should get married and start having a family and so on. When I told my friend, I didn't want to start over on my degree, she called me out about living my life with deadlines and I never thought about it like that before.

I was a hypocrite for thinking people shouldn't live their lives like that and here I am, doing the same thing with my education and career. Since I've been home from that trip, I have been contemplating a lot about what I want out of life and what goals I have set for myself.

This year, I will continue on, on my degree in finance and take a couple of introductory classes for law. I've been wanting to learn how to play the guitar for a few years now and will be purchasing my first guitar here in a couple of weeks and I cannot wait to share that journey with you. I don't want to set too many goals at once, otherwise, I know they won't come true because it's hard to concentrate on too many things at once.

Someone that proved to me that you are never too young or too old to achieve your dream is my boss. She went to school for law and worked in that field for a few years and found herself not as interested in it as she thought she was when acquiring her degree. She then moved on to real estate for 12 years. Again, she didn't find that this was her calling.

It was eight years ago when she knew she wanted to own her own business. It was not until two years ago when she finally made that happen. She opened up Rush Cycle, which is an indoor cycling studio here in Sandy, UT, last May. It's truly inspiring to see her business evolve within the first year that it has been opened. It has grown so much since I started working there in October. She is proof to me that dreams come to you at any point in your life. Some get achieved faster than others, but patience is key.

After meeting my boss and getting to know her and her story, it made me realize, that I don't have to have everything figured out now. I may have an idea of what I want to do now, but that doesn't mean I won't change it later or start to not like it. But I do know that I would love to own my own business one day, whether that it's solely mine or even a partnership with someone I know. But I would also like to be the 'top dog' of a company.

"Dare to live the life you dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson