The Dreaded Freshman 15

The Dreaded Freshman 15

It's not a myth, it's very real.

23
The Dreaded Freshman 15
Break

Just a few short months ago, I was a high school senior, eagerly pinteresting cute dorm set ups and tips to succeed in college. During that time, I came across numerous articles talking about the college fifteen, the unavoidable weight gain that you get in those first few months at university. I didn’t take their advice seriously. I would be able to balance everything in my life, including my health. Boy, I was never so wrong. You really don't know how big of a change college will be to your sleep schedule, social groups and your overall health.

It begins innocently enough. You start off great, working out five or six times a week. But within the first month of college, you start getting busy with schoolwork. You first put off a few workouts a week for a “big test” or a needed nap.

But then it expanded. When you go down to the dining center, you dodge the salad bar like it has the plague, and when your friends ask you, you agree to late-night ice cream runs. You hadn't even looked at a vegetable in two weeks, unless we are counting the tomatoes in pizza sauce. (We aren't.)

Another big change is what socializing revolves around. In some cases, (legally, if you're 21), it involves fraternity basements and house parties. If you're 21, you can go to the bars and have a bartender make you drinks, but if you're under the legal limit you settle for jungle juice. That and tequila shots aren’t just causing hell to your liver, it's also killing your waistline. One shot of tequila is 70 calories.

But at first the extra pounds were no big deal. You could still fit into your clothes with little effort and, besides, maybe the weight went to your butt like you hoped. Your friends swore they didn’t notice, but maybe they just secretly loved joining in on your binges.

But at some point, you realized the weight was coming on. And it was a wake-up call.

There are two choices you can make at this point. Either you can go all fitness queen and start a juice cleanse. Eliminate all the grease in your diet! No more alcohol! Attend hot yoga at the gym!!

Or you can go buy some stretchy pants and order some cheese fries. And embrace this extra weight. After all, almost anything tastes better than skinny feels.

But whether you choose to accept it or not, if you’re in college, the freshman 15 has probably made an impact on your life.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go order a pizza and some onion rings. Treat yo'self.