15 Dr. Seuss Quotes For Soon-To-Be Graduates

In honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday.

21272
Huffington Post

Since today is Dr. Seuss' 113th birthday, I want to show my adoration for his words by sharing my favorite quotes from the legend himself. In addition, these quotes are great advice for graduating high school and college seniors alike. This second semester will be over before you know it...

...but first, here's a little background on one of the best children's authors of all time.

Theodor Seuss Geisel has been written about and praised for many years. Fortunately for his numerous fans, his legend lives on in his famous children's books and his words of wisdom.

In elementary school, we would have a Seuss appreciation week. The week involved activities such as character dress up day as Who's, eating green eggs and ham for lunch, and the endless readings of Dr. Seuss. One time an author came to our school and told us about Dr. Seuss. He encouraged us to never give up on our dreams because Dr. Seuss was turned down over twenty-seven times before he found a publisher. His first book was "And to Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street." The rest was history!

As a kid, I took his books for granted, but they did expand my imagination. The advice from Seuss' beloved stories reside in the hearts of small children and remain there as they grow old enough to understand the meaning behind each story. They will read those stories to their kids one day!

At Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida, there is an area dedicate to Seuss and his stories: Seuss' Landing. I had been to Universal Studios three times, but it was not until the third time this past summer that his words finally sunk in. As a fresh high school graduate, I was obsessed with Oh, the Places You'll Go. Dr. Seuss wrote children's books, but his words reach all audiences and the love for his stories only continues to grow.

So without further ado, I present words from the man, the myth, the legend, Dr. Seuss!

1. Step with care and great tact. And remember that life's a great balancing act.

Rhymes may be catchy for children, but Dr. Seuss was the master of writing books about life. Life will never just be too hard or too easy, it's all about finding the right balance.

2. You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.

Going through life with a closed mind and shut eyes makes for an extremely boring adventure.

3. If I were invited to a dinner party with my characters, I wouldn't show up.

This was not necessarily a quote from one of his books, but it's interesting from a writer's perspective!

4. Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.

And sometimes we are too scared to ask the questions because the answer will be exactly what you don't want to hear.

5. Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.

No one can ever replace you because you are one of a kind!

6. Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

For the longest time, I did not realize this was a quote from Dr. Seuss...but it's true! We are all made up of the things that happened to us. So don't cry because school days are over, look back and be proud!

7. Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.

If someone doesn't share the same passion as you, then you are in for a rough ride. Find someone to support your cause, even if that cause is yourself. Surround yourself with people who care about you.

8. You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.

Another Seuss' quote that I did not know was said by the great poet. We all dream of this day, and one day it will happen if you're lucky!

9. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Don't be a followerer! Stand up for what you believe or fall down trying to be like everyone else.

10. Be who you are and say what you mean because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Being scared to speak up is walking through life scared to breathe. The ones that have a problem with what you have to say are irrelevant. The people that truly care will support you! So, don't be scared to speak up and voice your opinions.

11. Today I shall behave as if this is the day I will be remembered.

Live each day to the fullest. You never know when you will be discovered, so give each day your all.

12. Only you can control your future.

You are in the driver's seat. Not your parents, grandparents, teachers/professors, or your friends. The choice is up to you and you can be whoever you want to be. Study what you love and you will never have to work a day in your life because it won't feel like a job to you.

13. The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Books will take you places, and knowledge will take you out into the world! Go everywhere and experience everything because this is the time of your life. Wasted time can never be returned to you, so take opportunities as much as possible. Kid you'll move mountains...

14. You're on your own and you know what you know. And you are the one who'll decide where to go...

Once you graduate, it's a whole new world. College is quite different from high school, and the real world is different from college. No one is holding your hand anymore and it's time for you to spread your wings and fly. Again, the choice is always up to you.

15. Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't, and believe everything happens for a reason. If you get the chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

This is my all time favorite quote. It sums up all Dr. Seuss' words of wisdom and it's the best I can offer to all the up coming graduates. Embrace life and enjoy it!