The Biography of Dr. Jose Gregorio Hernandez

Doctor of the Poor and a Servant of God.

1577
Videos de Ensenanza 360 YouTube Channel

I would like to present Dr. Jose Gregorio Hernandez, a Venezuelan physician who's a member of the Third Secular Order of the Roman Catholic Church. Jose G. Hernandez's devotees have been eagerly awaiting for his beautification. At the moment, Jose G. Hernandez is venerated in the Catholic Church as a servant of God. As a devote myself, I am hereby sharing his life and dedication to the poor.

Biography

Jose G. Hernandez was born on October 26th, 1864 in Isnotu, Trujillo State, Venezuela. His parents were Benigno Hernandez Manzaneda, a store owner, and self-taught healer, and Jose Antonia Cisneros. Mrs. Hernandez worked with her husband at their family's store. The store was located in the foothills of the Venezuelan Andes in Isnotu. In their store, the Hernandez family sold souvenirs, clothes, medicine, and perfume. Benigno was an expert on herbal medicine, many towners visited him due to illness for obtaining a diagnosis and be prescribed medicine; which was prepared by himself. It is believed that Jose G. Hernandez inherited his father's traits of healing and serving others at no cost.

In 1888, J.G.H graduated as a medical doctor from the Central University of Venezuela, located in Caracas, the capital of Venezuela. J.G.H. graduated Summa Cum Laude and was awarded a scholarship by the Venezuelan government to continue his studies in Europe. In Paris, France; he studied bacteriology, pathology, histology, and microbiology. He wrote the Elements of Bacteriology in 1906, The Elements of Philosophy in 1912 among other relevant scientific publications.

After his return to Venezuela, J.G.H. became the head doctor of the Hospital Jose Maria Vargas; where he thought medicine and religious education. He sought priesthood on two occasions in Rome where he studied at Monastery of Lucca in 1908 and 1910. But, his delicate health didn't let pursue his dreams of a priesthood. In Venezuela, J.G.H. treated his patients with equality, he would receive any patient regardless; even when they couldn't afford to pay him his dues. Jose G. Hernandez was found very often visiting the marginalized neighborhoods of Venezuela in where he would provide free services to the poorest. Also, he would bring them medicine for treatment, that was purchased with his own pocket money. Soon, he was baptized as the Doctor of the Poor. J.G.H. contributed to the medical advancement of his beloved country, of Venezuela through his teachings and scientific publications.

Jose G. Hernandez died tragically on June 29th, 1919 at the age of 56. Dr. Hernandez died after attending mass in a church called La Pastora. After he left the church he went to a drugstore to buy medicine for a patient and was on his way to deliver it to her. Dr. Hernandez was walking near a cross-road quietly and soundly. A car that was approaching the intersection ran over him giving no time to Dr. Hernandez to notice it. Dr. Hernandez died immediately after he lost balance and hit his head on the curb. After, his death Dr. Hernandez body was carried on the shoulders by those who loved him and his coffin was brought to the Cathedral then taken by his beloved Venezuelans to the Southern Cemetery.

After his death, Dr. Hernandez has been prayed upon to intercede during times of severe illness, better health, a good job, and harmony. Many of his devotees claimed that Dr. Hernandez has not let him down and miracles have obtained through his intercession. He's venerated among Catholics throughout the world as the patron of medical students, doctors, and diagnosticians. Many medical doctors in the Dominican Republic (where I am from) have a statuesque of Dr. Hernandez in their offices. Dr. Hernandez has made apparitions on X-rays plaques, and devotees have believed seeing him on near-death experiences. Due to this miracles, Pope John Paul II gave him the title of venerable servant of God in 1996. Dr. Hernandez is one miracle away to be considered a saint and be canonized. Prayers for canonization and beatification are recited every day in Venezuela, in the Church of Candelaria. I hope that Dr. Jose Gregorio Hernandez becomes a saint in a near future.