The Best Restaurants In Downtown New York City

7 Of The Best Restaurants in Downtown NYC

The best restaurants in Manhattan's downtown, organized by neighborhood.

121

Manhattan is a heaven for gourmands everywhere; packed into this little island are some of the best restaurants in the world. Compiled here are some of Manhattan's best that are more budget-friendly than the Michelin-starred restaurants uptown. These spots reign in menu selection, food taste, ambiance, and service.

NEIGHBORHOOD: CHELSEA

1. Cafeteria

Cafeteria's Calamari & Eggs BenedictMaryah Amin

Cafeteria, located in Chelsea a few blocks down from FIT, is an upbeat diner-inspired restaurant great for brunch and lunch. The decor is bright white with dark wood accents and a futuristic mood; it's always lively and open 24/7 (like an actual diner)! Cafeteria is great for a quick or informal meal with friends. Their specials are always fantastic; some amazing menu items include the turkey burger, Baja fish tacos, and blue crab aioli toast!

2. Citizens of Chelsea

Citizens of ChelseaMaryah Amin

Citizens of Chelsea is a health-focused casual restaurant; it's decorated in calming shades of blue and green with hanging plants and wood and white accents. Brightly lit and sunny like Cafeteria, it's also a good spot to have a quick meal with friends or family. There are numerous vegan and vegetarian options, but meat's still available. I hate to say it but their food is very Instagrammable: presentation is always beautiful, especially with their breakfast entrees like the vegan Belgian waffle. I recommend the farmer's bowl with braised beef.

3. Cookshop

CookshopMaryah Amin

Everything from here is delicious. Every single thing on the menu. Stop in for breakfast or lunch and linger here for a while, because you'll probably have waited a long time for a table. The decor is bright, with tomato-red seating, walls lined with wooden niches containing plants, and floor to ceiling windows. Some of my favorites from Cookshop are the roasted chicken salad, the French toast (best French toast I've ever had), and the burger.

NEIGHBORHOOD: WEST VILLAGE

4. Buvette

BuvetteMaryah Amin

A VERY French bistro. They have a cute little garden patio lit up with string lights and candles that are perfect for dinners on warm summer nights where you'll be lingering at the table for a while. They specialize in small French plates that seem tapas-sized but are in fact very filling. The inside is cramped but lively and dimly lit, in a typical European style. Buvette is great for both breakfast and late dinners or drinks (it's open until 2 AM!). The cold lamb dish, Gigot d'Agneau, is a must.

5. Malatesta Trattoria

A cozy and homey trattoria that's either actually a hole-in-the-wall or made to feel like a hole-in-the-wall, either way, the food is amazing and extremely reasonably priced. It is always lively inside and waiters are very European and abnormally friendly for New York. The place is done in dark woods, making it ideal for a long dinner. They make their pasta in house, and you can taste it in the food. The tagliatelle bolognese is excellent, as is the bruschetta for an appetizer.

NEIGHBORHOOD: EAST VILLAGE

6. Double Zero

Double ZeroMaryah Amin

I crave this all the time. Double Zero specializes in VEGAN PIZZA, and before you let the 'vegan' turn you away, just read this. Vegan pizza is not simply pizza minus the cheese without sauce and vegetables. Double Zero creates pizzas that are entirely plant-based, creative, and ridiculously flavorful. They make their vegan cheeses from nuts in-house, which to me creates a flavor experience that's better than cheese. My favorite pizza from Double Zero is the spicy marinara Arrabbiata, which is topped with "bacon" made of shiitake mushrooms, cauliflower, macadamia ricotta, and basil. The basil sunflower pesto pizza and the faro fennel sausage pizza are also good choices.

7. San Marzano

Maryah Amin

$10 BOWLS OF PASTA!! You can mix and match pasta shapes, sauces, and meats to create your perfect bowl. The pasta here is all freshly made in-house, and their brunch items are also worth trying (if you can get a table on a Sunday morning).