The Dos And Don'ts Of Packing For Your First Year Of College

Everything you should and shouldn't bring, from the perspective of a constant over-packer.

42
DormDelicious

If you're headed off to your first year of college in a month or two, you probably already have plenty of people telling you everything you need to bring. You may have had a graduation party and received an exorbitant number of "practical" gifts. You might be gearing up to go dorm room shopping. Before you do, consider the below advice on what you really need and what will just take up space. As someone who was thoroughly over-packed and over-prepared for my freshman year, I've learned a thing or two from the experience about what's actually necessary for a first-year student to bring along. These are my personal pieces of advice for all those soon-to-be freshmen, stressing about what to bring.

Do bring a couple of bowls, silverware and some paper plates

Even though you're probably living in a dorm, sans kitchen, you'll still eat in your room sometimes. It's going to happen. Chances are, you'll have a mini fridge and a microwave, and in college that's enough, especially on the days when dining hall food sounds like the last thing you ever want to eat. You can make plenty of meals in mugs in your microwave!

Don't bring your entire kitchen

You don't need a full dining set! You have a very small space, and most likely nowhere good to wash dishes. Cups and mugs are OK sometimes, but if you can do plastic utensils and paper plates, more power to you. Washing dishes in a tiny communal bathroom sink will never be something you enjoy. Keep it simple and save space!

Do bring some wall decorations and a floor rug

Flat decorations are the way to go in a tiny dorm room. They make your room more personal and inviting without actually taking up any real space. Investing in some Command Strips or Mounting Putty is an awesome decision. They're both super cheap and will hang up your posters, pictures and random doodles without leaving holes in your walls. A pretty floor rug brightens up your space and is especially a must-have if your floors are wood/linoleum/concrete.

Don't bring huge decorations, bookshelves or extra furniture

Don't bring anything that know won't fit or you won't use. You'll regret it every time! I know it's tempting to bring everything you had in your room back at home, but unless your dorm is huge and you have no roommate, it's not going to work out. Save all of your decorations and larger furniture for your first apartment. You'll want it later on when you have more space and need to fill it.

Do bring a foam mattress topper

I'm serious. This might not be the first thing on your list, and it may seem excessive, but it's not. My mattress topper is the best decision I've ever made. Despite having lofted beds (which are a menace) I have adored sleeping in both of my college beds because I have a great pillow and a foam mattress pad. Nine times out of 10, the dorm mattress you get will be epitome of discomfort. Yet, add a one-inch mattress pad and you're sleeping like royalty. It's genius. Get a basic one here or a super fancy one here.

Don't bring every clothing item you own

Trust me, I wanted to bring my entire wardrobe to college. I like clothes and I have way too many to begin with. But if you're able, reduce what you pack to seasonally appropriate clothes that you know you'll wear. Especially if you're able to go home between fall and winter and winter and spring to change wardrobes, this will save you a lot of space that you'll desperately want. Your first closet is not going to be a walk-in. (If it is, I probably hate you.)

Do bring a desk lamp and some basic office supplies

Assuming that you have a desk provided (most dorm rooms will) and that you plan to do some homework/studying in college (which you really should), a few office essentials are good to have. But stick to the basics! A small lamp helps if you have a roommate who goes to sleep early (and you can find those at every garage sale and Target out there!). Also good to have: tape, a stapler, post-it notes, paperclips and scissors. Other options might be necessary depending on how aggressive you are with your studying/DIY girls nights.

Do bring a reading pillow or comfortable seating

In my dorm room we had a futon, but it was incredibly uncomfortable. We still used it, but it was much more comfortable when I propped a reading pillow up against its metal railing. I'd also bring the pillow to bed so I could read/study in the most comfortable place in the whole room. I still use my pillow now that I have an apartment because my couch is still uncomfortable! There are a ton of them on Amazon, all from $20-$40.

Don't bring every gift you got for graduation

While most of your friends and relatives probably brought practical college student gifts, that may not always be the case. If there's something you know you don't need with you and won't use, don't bring it! Chances are, Great Aunt Susan will never know that you left that stuffed monkey/photo album/ice pack at home. You'll also probably get plenty of duplicate gifts. Don't bring both laundry baskets! You only need one and you need to accept that. But, that being said, if you did get some gifts that are less than practical, but that you totally love, go ahead and bring them. You'll be happy having a few of your favorite things around.

Do bring a shower caddy and shower flip-flops

Seriously, unless you're living the dream with your own shower in your first year of college, your situation probably looks more like these communal bathrooms and fairly nasty showers. You'll feel a lot better about your shower experience if you have a cheap pair of flip flops to wear, as well as a caddy to hold all of your soaps and bathroom necessities. I also had a towel with Velcro strips along the top so I could walk back to my room without holding it up myself.

Buy a pair of cheap shower shoes here, a shower caddy here, and a self-supporting towel here.

Do bring a deck of cards and your entertainment of choice

While you may not have all the space afforded by a full apartment, entertainment options are still a necessity. Colleges are great about having tons of free and cheap events to keep you occupied every weekend, but sometimes you'd just rather stay in with your friends. A deck of cards takes up almost no space and can offer hours of entertainment if everyone teaches each other their own favorite games. Other entertainment options should be on a case by case basis. If you're a board game person, bring a few favorites. If you can't live without watching "The Bachelor" every week, consider bringing a small TV. If you absolutely need your video game console, make space for it.

Do bring your favorite snacks in bulk

Let's face it. If you're going dorm shopping with your parents and they're paying, there has never been a better time to stock up on food. As a college freshman, you are not a wealthy individual. That's just a fact of life. Another fact of life is that college dining halls have terribly inconvenient hours that won't always fit with your schedule. Sometimes you'll show up to a darkened dining hall and leave with an empty stomach and a heart full of disappointment. This makes having lots of your favorite snacks and easy breakfasts on hand a requirement. Take the opportunity to stock up before you even arrive. Then find convenient places to store food--plastic boxes under a bed or futon are a great option.