15 Dos And Don'ts For Surviving Freshman Year Of College

15 Dos And Don'ts Of Freshman Year, And One Of The 'Don'ts' Is The Freshman 15

Fifteen tips on how to survive college.

251

Going into my third year of undergrad, I know a thing or two about what mistakes not to make throughout your college years.

Don't not know how to handle your alcohol

Blacking out on the first night is not something to look forward to. Start by progressively building up your tolerance.

Don't slack off in your classes

You don't want your freshman GPA to come back and haunt you

Don't hark on anything you leave behind at home

I spent every weekend back in my hometown of Virginia Beach because I was too worried about what was going on there that I didn't get to enjoy my first year of college weekends.

Don't focus on romantic relationships

You don't know what you want at the ages of 18-19. Don't take anything too serious when it comes to romance.

Do introduce yourself

You never know if your best friend is going to be the person you say hi to in line at the dining hall.

Do go to all the sporting events you can

Whether it's football games or soccer games, you definitely will make lasting memories cheering on your college's team.

Don't spend all the time in your dorm room with the door closed

You will never make friends that way.

Do choose a good roommate.

Nothing is worse than having to deal with a terrible person as your roommate during your whole first year.

Do find your classrooms before the first day.

Don't get lost on your first day which will cause you to show up late.

Don't have any wardrobe blunders.

Wearing dresses that hike up in the wind on the way to class or not making a good first impression by looking like a hobo are not good.

Don't be afraid of awkward icebreakers.

Just think ahead of what to say when it's your turn so you don't sound dumb.

Start looking for a part-time job

Trust me, you'll definitely need a little extra cash when that tuition gets pulled out.

Do join as many clubs as possible

Whether it's debate club or wanting to join greek life or both, find stuff that you will enjoy.

Don't gain the freshman 15.

As someone who has gained weight in college since freshman year, don't stress eat or gain weight through the dining halls.

Do get to learn your college town

Go down town, explore what your city has for your