The Dos And Don'ts Of DragCon

The Dos And Don'ts Of DragCon

Don't treat RuGirls like a piece of meat!

237
The Dos And Don'ts Of DragCon
WOWPresents

Oh honey, RuPaul's DragCon is this weekend, honey!! I have nothing but good things to say about DragCon. I went last year and it was amazing. DragCon brings together a big community of drag lovers from all over. The overall vibe is very accepting, which I found to be very peaceful. Queens of all ages get together and live for one another, and fans get to explore the intricacies of drag and meet their favorite Drag Race queens! So, here's my advice for maximizing your DragCon experience.

Plan Ahead

Check the website's talent section and make a list of the queens you want to meet. I organize my itinerary in order of priority. Weed out the queens you've already met, let other fans have a chance!

Don't be Shady, be a Lady

Don't be rude to the queens. Well, as a general rule of thumb, don't be rude to anyone. Listen, there's going to be a lot of people in the space, be kind to one another. This one goes double for the queens though. I understand the excitement of getting to meet a fave, but don't forget that they have to meet an insane amount of people this weekend. Let them be. They've been standing, taking pics for several hours, chatting it up and such, in full drag; give them a break if they're not as excited to meet you as you are to meet them.

How To: Meet and Greet

Alaska and Laganja have demonstrated for us how to Meet and Greet the queens. Both of the videos are literally a single minute, so go ahead and click to learn from the best!

Get in line early for Meet and Greets

I waited in line for Adore Delano from the moment the doors opened until an hour before they closed, and I was one of the last people that got to meet her. DragCon is going to be bigger this year than it has ever been, to avoid heartbreak get in line early for the queen you're dying to meet.

Don't take it Personally

As I just mentioned that I was one of the last people to meet Adore. Well, there was a huge line of people behind me. People were crying. And I get it, wait all day for nothing is the worst, especially when you get your hopes up. But please, do not blame the queens or take it personally. Again, DragCon can be exhausting. Give them a break. Literally, let them go on break. They still love you.

Check out a Panel

The panel members are very knowledgable, and generally current professionals in the area their panel centered around. Saturday's panels can be found here. And Sunday's panels can be found here. Also get in line early for these. A lot of people = long lines.

Tip. These. Men.

Don't be offended if a queen requests that you purchase merch before meeting them. Support these queens!

Visit Smaller Booths

Not all of the booths at DragCon are strictly drag related. Check out the website's exhibitors section for more information! Last year, there were some really cool artists with booths selling some of their art. It was sick. Don't miss out on that!

Dress Up

Look, you will rarely every be in a room with that many accepting and eccentric people. Just do it. It'll be fun! Dressing up isn't just for kids. At DragCon lots of people go all out! Really, do whatever makes you feel comfortable. But this is the perfect opportunity to try out something a little out of your comfort zone. Have fun!

Sissy That Walk

Well, now that I've convinced you to dress up, don't forget to werk it!

Make Friends!

Befriending strangers can be scary, but it'll be okay! You obviously have a common interest. In fact, you'll have one of the easiest common interests to talk about, especially in that environment. Make some more friends who know all the tea!