The DOs and DONTs Of Taking Your Makeup Off

As an avid makeup user, here are my holy graills

11

When I tell you I've used just about every possible makeup removing product out there, I mean it. My ready routine of makeup varies from day to day, depending on my time and effort, but what never seems to change is my unready routine. After experimenting with several products, tools, and methods, here are all the DOs and DONTs I've managed to come across

DONT use disposable makeup wipes

I know. It's a bold one to throw out there first, but here me out: Sure, makeup wipes work in a pinch, but realistically, it just isn't enough. I can't tell you how many times I wipe my face "clean" only to wash my face and find a sink full of foundation. It just isn't worth the extra step

DO use reusable makeup removing cloths

Credit

One of my holy grail finds is the Makeup Eraser. It involves NO chemicals, and works with JUST warm water. Honestly, it's just one of those things where you have to see it to believe it. I use the cloth in sections throughout the week and toss it into the laundry to reuse for the next. It's simple, cost effective, and it reduces the environmental waste you would be making with disposable makeup wipes.

DONT use coconut oil

For me at least, coconut oil just never seemed to work well with my skin. It dissolves makeup BEAUTIFULLY but the residue it leaves in the sink and on my skin when I wash it off is just a no go for me. In addition, I always find it to clog my pores up.

DO use cold cream

Credit

A lot of people consider cold cream to be an old-school beauty thing, but I honestly think old is gold. Ponds Cold Cream has been in my makeup removing collection for as long as I can remember, and for good reason. It's also a CHEAP alternative to micellar waters, or other high end removing balms. Simply massage it onto your makeup, wipe off with a washcloth, and follow up with your favorite cleanser. It's insane how hydrated this product makes my skin.

DONT use your hands to cleanse

Hands are great for spreading the makeup removing product all over, but they're not the best when it comes to face wash. Your hands simply can't deeply penetrate the skin care into your skin like some other tools can.

DO use a facial spin brush

Credit

A budget-friendly alternative to the infamous Clarisonic Brush would be my personal favorite, Spin For Perfect Skin. It gets the job done equally as good for a fraction of the price. It comes with a total of three different brush heads, each used for different purposes.

DONT be aggressive with your skin

After all, it is your face we're talking about here. Be gentle both physically and chemically, avoiding harsh scrubbing and over-washing. When you over exfoliate your skin, you shred the outer layers, making your skin more prone to pollution and potential breakouts. When you over-wash your skin, you strip its natural oils, causing it to be duller.

DO create a proper skincare regimen

After all that makeup removal, your skin is prepped and perfect to absorb any sort of nutrients and skincare you decide to put into it. Create a standard skincare routine to follow regularly in order to achieve the best results. You don't need 24 steps and products necessarily, but experiment with what works best for you and your skin.

DO be thorough with getting every spot

I can't tell you how many times I've woken up with raccoon eyes from my lack of removing mascara properly. Being thorough with your removal may be tedious for some, but your skin (and pillowcase) will thank you for it. Don't forget that you need to wash your neck as well, as many people tend to blend their foundation down there as well.

DONT sleep with your makeup on

Never. Ever. If you have the effort to put the makeup on, you can put in the effort to take the makeup off.

And if you can't do that, you shouldn't be wearing makeup in the first place.