10 College Dorm Essentials You Need For Freshman Year

Advice from a third year RA

30

Living in a college dorm can be a fun time in your life and here are some things I think are essential when it comes to living at school.

1. Brita water filter

Let's all admit... the sinks in Residence Halls do not have the best water. I bought a Brita my freshman year and cannot picture my life without it. The water always tastes so good and the filters are pretty cheap compared to buying bottled water (which uses a lot of plastic). You can also pair your filter with a nice reusable water bottle for an easy fill up before heading to class.

2. Comfortable mattress topper/pad

SLEEP IS IMPORTANT. I went in my first year of college with a decent mattress topper but never had the best sleep. I used to take as many naps as I could to try to feel fully energized. My second year I splurged and purchased a Serta Memory Foam Cooling Topper an

3. Sturdy waterproof backpack

It gets rainy (especially in Starkville) and I have dealt first hand with my papers in my backpack being destroyed by water. A durable backpack will not only protect your things from getting wet it will also come in handy for taking on trips with newfound friends.

4. Amazon Alexa

In college a speaker is essential but why not get one that will do everything for you. I can't tell you how much my Alexa has came in handy. Whether I was using it to play music while my roommate and I got ready for an event or I was in my bed comfy and ready for bed setting an alarm with Alexa because I didn't want to reach for my phone.

5. A wallet that sticks to the back of your phone

In college your student ID get's you everywhere, literally. In order to get into your resident hall you need your ID to scan in and you don't want to get locked out of your building on a late night. Phone wallets are reliable and keep everything you need all together. If you're forgetful like me this may be the best purchase you make during college.

6. Very durable hamper

Doing laundry sucks, but it would suck more to have a laundry hamper that wasn't very durable. Hampers on wheels seem a bit extra but you will love it as you drag your more than full hamper down to the laundry rooms.

7. Coffee maker

All I have to say is coffee addictions get expensive so it's always a good idea to invest in a nice coffee maker.

8. A vacuum/swifter

If you live in a building where your room consists of carpet or even a rug in your floor, chances are it is going to get really dirty. You build up dirt walking in and out all day not to mention all of the hair that will end up on your floor. Getting a mini vacuum or a swifter is an easy way to tidy up your room and it takes the maximum of ten minutes.

9. Steamer

Imagine this: you are in a hurry to a formal and you are running late with a wrinkly dress. A steamer is the quickest and easiest option in ensuring that you will look your best and will not have to go through the hassle of actually ironing.

10. Heavy duty Command Strips

Command strips are essential to every dorm. Putting up posters and pictures, hanging up curtains and so much more. Spending that extra money on real command hook brand items will help you from having holes and mess ups on your wall when moving out at the end of the year.