Don't Turn Down Your Music

Don't Turn Down Your Music

Don't quiet he tune inside of you

27
Don't Turn Down Your Music
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/613-dViHE3L._SL1500_.jpg

Every night, I take a long shower, and unwind with Pandora playing over my small Bluetooth speaker. Some days I’m feeling Tori Kelly, and others I am feeling Ed Sheeran. Some days, I need Bob Marlie to sing about how everything will be okay. Some days, I need to jam to salsa or meringue, and some days, I just hum along to Sinatra. This part of every day is my peace and my rejuvenation. I am complete when I am alone with my music, my thoughts, and my memories.

Music feeds my spirit and my soul. It is the very thing that inspires me, and flows through my heart. Music gives me strength, and stirs my passion. I have been told to turn my music down even when it’s not too loud, because someone doesn’t like it, or someone is distracted by it, or someone is envious. Not understanding my rhythm is the same as not understanding me, which is okay, because I dance to my own drum beat. Suppressing my melody is like taking my voice, suppressing my freedom, and making me feel as if I cannot be myself. I am a musician, and music is in me. Please let me live.

I am studying at Berklee to earn a Masters degree in Music Education and Performance with a minor in psychology. Some people may think that music is not a serious career, but they are mistaken. I have been blessed with a gift, and the ability to share my voice and use it for good. I am not the only one with a purpose, or the only one with a dream to change the world. So to all my fellow musicians and aspiring artists, when someone tells you to turn down your music, just tell them to turn down the hate, and keep on playing, because you can turn down your music, but that means toning down part of who you are, and that is something you should never have to do. As long as music lives in you, no one has the right to turn off your expression or silence your melody. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. Show the world your unique and precious song, and never appologize for doing what you love, blasting what you appreciate, or doing the best you can to use your talent to fight for the things you believe in.