I Don't See Being An Idealist As A Bad Thing

Look on the sunny side of life.

333
andrewcboryk

I hear it time and time again. I'm too idealistic. My ideas are sugar-coated. It's a nice sentiment, but it would never work. If I were to look at everything from an entirely practical standpoint, I would honestly say that I would have to agree with some of those critiques. I understand (as much as anyone can) the messiness of human nature, and I understand that not everyone operates with the same values, worldview, or experiences. I also understand that if I were to allow myself to operate with a pragmatic point of view, I would have trouble finding much hope in the world or the people around me. I'm a bit of an idealist, yes, but I am so because I want to believe the best for every person I meet and open myself to the potential the world has to offer.

I am studying to be a teacher, and in doing so, I have become vastly interested in humans and their motivations. We are often taught that our students (or any other human, for that matter) will rise to the expectation you set for them. I believe in approaching every situation with such a mindset. Do I sometimes find myself disappointed? Yes, as goes life sometimes. Do I often find myself pleasantly surprised? Yes, and it is beautiful.

I believe that humans want to do good, we just all have different understandings of what a "good" world looks like. For some, that manifests in a selfish fashion, and good is good for them. Others have a broader and more selfless perspective, and perhaps their perception of how good should manifest more aligns with how you perceive goodness. People range everywhere in between. But we find a commonality in wanting a good world. If we all want that good, we must tap into our motivations for it, and if we give people the opportunity to show us their goodness, I believe they will take advantage of the opportunity with which we are presenting them.

Again, I realize this may sound far fetched and dreamy. Maybe it is, but I see for us a better world with a better future. I will continue to defend the poor, the disabled, the hungry, the marginalized, the prostituted, the abused, the minorities. I will continue to try for a world that sees equality rather than hate, and we build each other up rather than allow the strong to prey on the weak. We have minds and we have hearts. We should use them. We do not have to live in a society of natural selection when we can care for each other and become stronger together, instead.

So while I continue to try to find within us that better society, I understand I may never see it in my lifetime, and it may never come to exist. But without effort, there is no progress. I would rather, to state in a cliche, shoot for the moon and miss, but land among the stars. I may never reach my idealistic dream, but I can find a better life.