New Year's Resolutions

If You Want To Achieve Your New Year's Resolution, Don't Post It On Social Media

Social media is important in our lives, but there is a time and place for it.

84
Corrine Harding

As the new year approaches, we all look forward to this fresh start. The phrase "new year, new me" comes to mind for many of us. It's a blank slate, where you can start new habits and hopefully, you become a better person each new year. Whether it is health and fitness goals or the desire to become a more organized person or any other resolution, they are all goals that we set. I have a piece of advice though as we get prepared for our New Year's festivities and resolutions: please don't post your resolutions on social media and tell everyone and their mother this new year.

Why does it even matter what you post or don't post on social media? It's a free country, and it is your social media so, why do I have the right to tell you what to do? Well, I am saying this for your sake because I genuinely hope that you can achieve your goals in life, whether it is a New Year's resolution or anything you are planning to achieve. Studies have shown over and over again how when we announce our goals publicly, whether on social media or with people you run into, can actually ruin your chances of success. We become content with the public appraisal and can sometimes settle with the praise, rather than work toward our goals. Don't just live your life on paper—go through with what you put down, hold yourself accountable. I understand how hard it is to achieve your goals because a goal takes time and a lot of hard work to achieve.

My advice for you is to write your goals down. Pen and paper can be your best friends when it comes to your resolutions. It keeps you accountable by having it written down and expressing yourself, but you don't fall into the trap of public appreciation. You can get that feel-good emotion as you accomplish the little steps to your big goal. Another way to break down your New Year's resolution is being SMART about your goals. SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound, and when you create SMART goals, you aren't just writing down some general purpose. You are putting time and effort into the how you will achieve your plan and following this acronym helps break down the steps to reach your achievement.

On a personal note, I understand how hard it is to achieve goals and create new habits. I love social media, and I post fairly often of life updates or what is going on in my day, but there is one thing I don't post about. This past year I have been working toward my 2018 New Year's resolution, and it hasn't always been easy. I've cried over it, and I haven't been able to do everything I wanted to do because of my resolution. It's making me a better person though, and it has taught me so much about myself and achieving not only my goals but also my dreams.

I haven't stayed 100% quiet about my goal throughout my journey, but I also don't publicly go around stating what I am doing. I tell my trusted family and friends, and I keep them updated for two reasons. One, the people I tell are also invested in my goals, and if they know, they can support me and make sure I am keeping myself on track. Two, you aren't alone in your New Year's resolutions, and you shouldn't have to be. I think the important thing to stress about who you tell is someone that should support you and honestly care about your achievement. They are not there just to give you praise and let it go—they are also going to keep you accountable. The problem with social media and goals is that you will receive a lot of praise and support, but all of those likes and comments won't help you in the end. It may motivate you at the beginning, but they will fall flat once you struggle.

So as you think toward your next blank slate, whether that is a new year or a new day, think twice of what you post online or say to someone you just ran into. Think about your goals, but most importantly, think about what you can achieve if you believe in yourself and write it down.