Why I Don't Plan Out My Trips

Why I Don't Plan Out My Trips

You can't plan adventure

6
Why I Don't Plan Out My Trips
Mirjam Kern

Everyone always asks me what I am going to see when I have booked a trip, truth be told, I never make plans as to what I am going to see or even take the time to research what is there. I know, strange for someone who enjoys traveling so much. My way of life is to just go and see what happens, it's not always reliable, but I think everyone should give it a try.

The reason I go to the places I do is because they are the cheapest flights I could find on my skyscanner app, usually not because I have some long desired dream to go there. The point for me is to see these different places in the world and learn something new about myself and others while I am there. It's called the school of life (thanks mom).

My last trip I went on was to Barcelona about a week ago. When I get to the city, I usually ask for a map of the place to see where the most well known places are exactly and go from there. It is much more fun for me to randomly stumble upon something than to have researched all about it and already know what it looks like. I enjoy the surprise of being a few drinks in and walking around at night with friends and suddenly being like, "HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT RANDOM OLD GOTHIC CATHEDRAL" laughing and remembering you're really really far from home.

It kills me when I see large groups of people going on a tour all in a line listening to headphones hearing the same thing about the same place. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think these places are so beautifully historic and I can understand why you would want to know more about them, but sometimes it's a little much. You all get the same photos of the same places that you can google and find better images of. To be there on your own and listening to your inner voice and letting it guide you around the city can be extremely rewarding.

That feeling of having no idea where you are and you hardly know how to speak the language makes you so vulnerable and it really breaks you apart from everything that you thought you knew and had. I think that is why traveling on your own is so important to try at some point in your life.

I also had the chance to see one of the best sunrises of my life. Not that I've seen that many considering I don't know what the world looks like before 11am, but when the opportunity presents itself, you gotta take it. I didn't come up with the idea of course, some friends from the hostel I stayed at invited me to join them, and it was so worth it. You get to see the most peaceful people who normally get up that early, reminding you that this happens every single day, even when you're not there to see it.

Since I didn't plan it out, I was able to go and experience a moonlit picnic on the beach with tapas, went out to a shot bar where I got to roast marshmallows and drink fiery shots, and enjoy a random concert in the middle of the night outside where everyone was dancing and singing with one another. It was wonderful.

Of course I still visited those must-see places like the Sagrada Familia, Park Güell, and Las Ramblas, but it honestly was on the last day just to say that I went.

So I urge you next time you go somewhere, maybe don't plan it out so much and just go where it feels right. Experience places and things on your own terms. You will find out so much more about yourself and the world around you.