Don't Minimize Millennials

Don't Minimize Millennials

I am more than my age and generation.

13
Don't Minimize Millennials
Flickr

It seems every time I have a valid opinion on any controversial issue, my completely rationalized opinion is minimized or demeaned for either my age or because of a generational gap. It seems as though older opinion-makers are allowed to form beliefs that are more valid and are more widely accepted as valid and aren't criticized for their age. I'm so tired of having to justify that I research my point and that I actually have formulated my opinion off of justifiable evidence and not off of my crazy-social-media-ran-millennial brain. I am so tired of being told that I'm "too young" or "too naive" or anything that demeans my opinion down to my age or the assumption that I have less knowledge on a subject than someone that is older than me but could very well have less knowledge on the subject than I do.

I guess I have to clear the air for everyone a little fuzzy on the concept: No, I do not know everything. I couldn't tell you about rocket science or just about anything in the math department. Yes, I do know some things. I know how to do research and I know how to develop and formulate my own beliefs no matter how hard to believe that may be for my elders to believe.

I am not disrespecting the fact you're saying that I know more than you or criticizing you in any way. I'm just merely asking for the same respect that I give you. I'm asking you to treat me like the adult you have so long been saying I am. I've grown up around the statements "one day you'll be an adult" and "when you're 18, you'll be an adult" and yet, I still feel like I'm stuck in this time when I have rightfully earned the respect of my opinions on my age and I still can't quite grasp it. Keep in mind, my beliefs deserved respect before I turned 18 but being told for so long that I will earn your respect sooner or later and finally reaching the time when I feel like I've earned it and I still can't seem to justify myself. My beliefs still are considered lesser than yours, my research still not good enough to compare to the beliefs of those that are older than me.

Believe it or not, there are adults that are less informed than I am. I may just know a little bit more about a few things than someone significantly older than me. Please understand that I am not trying to push my views down your throat or make myself seem better or superior to anyone in any way. I'm simply asking to receive the same amount of respect that I give to middle-aged men and women for their opinions. Growing up in this environment where all of my opinions will be judged and much more harshly condemned simply because of the mouth they're coming from and not from the research or views that support them is a constant kick down. How do you expect me to believe in myself and the beliefs I form when I'm "of age" when I have been nothing but chastised for them when I'm younger and well informed? How dare you push me down and minimize me to the sum of my age to determine whether or not I am worthy enough to be considered in an argument? I am a human. MY OPINION MATTERS.

I have been stuck in this tug of war of trying to communicate with "adultier adults" about topics that are of high importance just in the interest of hearing their opinion and possibly learning a little about the subject at hand and too many times I have been shut down for being "too young" despite my legal adultiness. Here's a token for thought: If I am old enough to vote, I am old enough to talk to you about the debate or about the subject surrounding the election or about any opinions you may have. If I am old enough to help decide who runs our country, I am old enough to talk to you.

Never come to a millennial and say that we're good for nothings, stuck to our phones, and ungrateful of the world we live in if you are so entitled that you won't spare a few minutes to discuss something wit us or even talk to us about anything. If you're not passionate enough about your ideas and opinions to educate anyone then you're not as strong in your beliefs as you think.

You underestimate us and one day you will regret that.