Don't Label Me Based On Your Assumptions

Everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about.

We've all heard the assumptions, and we are all guilty of making assumptions at least once in our life. “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.” - Wendy Mass. It is true. You only know what individual is showing to the world; they have a whole portion of their life that nobody knows anything about. Assumptions are based off what is being shown or how the individual is acting, but, they are not true (most of the time). Next time you want to make an assumption, think of what that person may be going through, think of who they truly are as a person, and if you gave the chance to get to know them, maybe you'd understand just a little more.

Assumption: They're such a b***h.

Truth: They're straightforward.

The person that is always straightforward, is most likely seen as a b***h. I've been there, plenty of times. They do not hide the truth or beat around the bushes, they tell it how it is. They're blunt and honest, and sometimes what they say hurts, but they wouldn't lie to you. I'm here to tell you, they may seem rude and hurtful, but these are some of the most real people you'll ever meet. Once you get to know them, you realize how amazing they are because what you see is what you get, and they wouldn't hide a single thing from you.

Assumption: They're so lame, they never want to go out.

Truth: They're exhausted from school and work, they wants to relax.

Being a full-time student in any major is exhausting, especially if they work a job on top of being a student. Being a student does not just involve going to class; it involves studying and homework and projects and essays and so much more. If a student is involved with organizations on campus, it is essentially comparable to taking another course; having to plan events and fundraisers and merchandise and the whole nine yards. Working just takes time out of studies, but it's necessary to pay tuition and bills. Personally, the last thing I want to do after coming home from a whole school and work day is getting all dolled up to go out; give me a glass of wine, some Netflix, and my bed and I am set for the night.

Assumption: They're so intimidating.

Truth: They're strong and powerful.

Strong is intimidating, plain and simple. When someone knows their worth and what they bring to the table, they aren't afraid, and others find it intimidating. It ties back in with being straightforward; somebody who knows what they want and isn't afraid to say it is terrifying in today's' world. People for some odd reason do not do well with bluntness and power; they're seen as cocky or arrogant sometimes, which, they could be. But having someone say they are intimidated by you simply means you know your worth and are not afraid to show it to the world.

Assumption: They're so stand-offish and unapproachable.

Truth: They're protecting themselves.

Anyone who has gone through some bad times in their life knows how hard it is to open up again. The person that seems unapproachable is protecting themselves from harm and pain. They're nervous. They've gone through so many bad times that good times seem almost unreal. They're scared of getting close to anyone because anyone they got close to left them. Give them time and be a friend, I promise they will open up to you once they get to know you.

Assumption: They're so weird.

Truth: Their passions do not align with yours.

"Weird" should not even be a word to describe another human being. Their passions do not align with yours. Maybe someone prefers playing video games and old-fashioned Nintendo in their free time but you prefer playing football or listening to music. Maybe they dyed their hair a different color and yours is natural. Maybe their fashion sense is different than yours. It is not weird. Everyone has their own passions, interests, and hobbies that vary from another person. It's what makes us human and it is what makes us unique.

Assumption: They've changed, they haven't been acting like themselves.

Truth: They're going through a hard time.

Hard times change a person. Maybe it's a death in the family or a financial battle. Everyone is fighting a battle, not everyone shares that battle with the public. If someone is not acting like themselves, do not make a scene about it or say they've changed. Think that maybe they're going through a hard time and just need a friend to hang out with to take their mind off things. Think how you act when you go through a hard time; you aren't the same person you were when everything in life seemed great. Things happen, but give it time and they will return back to themselves, until then, just be a friend to them.