An Open Letter To People Who Judge Me For Wearing Makeup
Beauty Fashion

To Everybody Who Has A Problem With Makeup, If It's Not Your Face, It's Not Your Place

We wear makeup because we like it. No further explanation needed.

289

For reasons I don't quite understand, people still have a problem with makeup. I'm wearing too much, she's wearing too little, he shouldn't be wearing makeup at all... I mean, come on, people. Make up your minds!

I love wearing makeup. I have rich eyeshadows, shimmering highlighters, bold lipsticks, and more—and I use them. My makeup collection is expansive, with a variety of products, shades, and brands. With so many options, it's no surprise I wear makeup almost every day.

I also love the makeup community! Both men and women are slaying the game, creating cool lip art and making easy-to-follow tutorials. For the most part, people are really supportive and willing to teach others how to look their best.

Still, there are those few who can't help but say rude things. It drives me crazy, especially since makeup is supposed to be fun.

So, if you're one of those people who can't keep their comments to themselves:

Don't ask if I'm wearing it to impress a boy. Don't tell me I would look prettier if I didn't wear so much. Don't tell men they shouldn't wear it. Don't tell women they don't "need" it, they know.

The only true makeup faux pas is not using it correctly. But practice makes perfect, so cut them some slack! It takes time to learn how to contour properly or apply blue eyeshadow without looking like a middle school throwback. Experimenting with different kinds of makeup is a great way to express yourself, and it's one of the reasons I love wearing it.

To me, makeup is as important an accessory as necklaces and purses. I don't just throw it on in the morning; I put as much time into choosing which products to use each day as I do decide what to wear.

I like red lipstick because it makes me feel bold. I like mascara because it opens my eyes more. I like concealer because I look more awake when I wear it. I just like makeup.

I don't let it affect me anymore, but it used to ruin my day if someone made a mean comment about my makeup. There's a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. It can kill your confidence when someone makes mean remarks about your makeup, especially when you're trying something new.

What do you gain from being mean? Stop telling women they have too much makeup on or telling men they shouldn't wear it at all. Makeup is for anyone, but not for everyone, and that's OK. Just remember. Although it's your decision to wear makeup, you don't decide if I do. If it's not your face, it's not your place!