10 Christmas Songs That Are Amazing, So Don't Hate On My Christmas Music

Stop hatin' on my Chrismas music, because I will defend these songs faster than you can say "Ho Ho Ho!"

63
Joy Ornament

There's been lots of hating on Christmas music lately and I'm not liking it! Christmas is a time to spread cheer and happiness and that is exactly what these singers are trying to do. They're having a grand ol' time singing their favorite Christmas songs and you're trying to get them banned!

So stop hatin' on my Chrismas music, because I will defend these songs faster than you can say "Ho Ho Ho!"

1. "Baby It's Cold Outside" by Frank Loesser

Okay. So. This song was written in 1944 by Frank Loesser who wrote it to sing with his WIFE, Lynn Garland, at their housewarming party in NYC. They sang the song to indicate to guests that it was time to leave.

Yes the lyrics are a bit sketchy in today's day and age, and many radio stations have even banned it because it appears to represent rape culture. The song got this reputation starting as far back as 1949 when it was performed in a romantic comedy titled 'Neptune's Baby.'

But the lyrics are often all misconstrued and the song is actually about a woman wanting to actually stay the night with a man and have some CONSENSUAL fun. However, she keeps trying to convince herself she should not as during this time period, sex before marriage was not cool even if it was consensual.

He is merely trying to provide her with excuses she could give her family for why she had to stay the night. And notice how all her excuses why she shouldn't, all revolve around what others may think.

You may say "But what about the line 'Hey, what's in this drink?'?!" That's easy to explain as well! It was a standard joke at the time the song was created and the punchline of the joke was that there is actually, pretty much nothing in the drink. Not even a significant amount of alcohol!

2. "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by Jimmy Boyd

I will admit that this was my least favorite Christmas song for the longest time because my Christian girl mind did not like the idea of this mother being unfaithful to her husband and going for a man centuries older than her. I was 100% on the boys side that he should tell his dad but no it would not be a laugh.

Then I grew up and learned that there was a bit more to the song than I thought! It's actually quite a cute song and the mother is not in fact cheating on her husband with Santa Claus.

For those of you who haven't quite caught on yet, sorry to say that that man the little boy saw kissing his mother was not indeed Santa Claus, but merely his father dressed in a costume. So, the song is quite romantic from an adult viewpoint that this couple is happy together and kissing under the mistletoe after their children have gone to bed.

3. "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt

Still not one of my favorite Christmas songs but I still find myself singing along to all the lyrics in my car. Its just catchy!

The idea behind it isn't necessarily appropriate in my opinion. Once again the idea of flirting with a man who is centuries old and married just isn't cool to me. Not to mention just being into him for the money and gifts.

However, I still will defend it because it is a guilty pleasure song for me and I won't stop listening to it any time soon.

4. "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" by Bing Crosby

I love, love, love Bing Crosby and all his Christmas music!

Once again with this song, you have to think of the time period it was written. During this period, scaring children into behaving was a pretty popular idea. Just think about some of the classic fairy tales.

It's still a catchy tune and honestly, what kid seriously thinks about not pouting and crying all year long because they want to make it on the nice list? It's on the parents if they use Santa not coming as a threat.

Also, so what if kids behave for a month? Is that really a bad thing?

(I will admit though that the knowing when your sleeping and awake is a tad creepy)

5. "Last Christmas" by Wham!

I seriously love this song and don't really see whats to hate about it.

It's definitely not the most jolly or cheery of songs to play around Christmas but neither are half the Christmas favorites on the radio if you sit down and think about it. This song is just catchy and actually about moving on from a toxic relationship so, that actually is a good thing!

6. "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas" by Perry Como

What's not to like about this song?? It's a personal favorite of mine. Yes, it has been done a million times before but so has EVERY. OTHER. POPULAR. CHRISTMAS. SONG.

Just chose a favorite version and stop your hatin'.

It's true, it is beginning to look like Christmas so why not sing about it?!

7. "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney 

I am having a wonderful Christmas time and ignoring all the haters out there. You will find me jamming out to this in my car because it is upbeat and catchy!

Yes there are a million songs about being happy around Christmas and holidays but isn't that one of the main points of the holiday season?

8. "Christmas Shoes" by NewSong

I really have a love-hate relationship with this song. It tells such a beautiful story but makes me cry every time I hear it. The lesson behind it is really important for everyone to learn as well.

Everyone's situation is different and you never know what another person is going through, so, have patience and be kind. Not just during Christmas though! Everyday.

9. "Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helms

One of my all time favorites that always gets me dancing and bopping my head, is this song right here. Its so catchy and so up beat that it immediately puts me in a better mood.

10. "Feliz Navidad" by José Feliciano

Yes its annoying and gets stuck in your head, but there is just something about it that will keep me singing along and dancing like no body cares.