How do I know when I need to transfer?
Education

Don't Go To A College Just For The Name

Whether you are at Yale or at a small local college, you just have to put into the work because that's what truly matters.

104
Don't Go To A College Just For The Name
Jessica Tran

The most terrifying part of high school is the college application process.

I cannot tell you how many times I was worried or cried about the ten colleges that I applied to. Yes, I applied to ten because I had this irrational fear that I wasn't going to get into college. I ended up getting into eight of those schools so I had nothing to worry about. Anyway, you probably have seen those reaction videos where people getting into those Ivy Leagues schools, or colleges just as difficult to get into, get accepted.

To be honest, it is hard to see that everyone is getting into these colleges because I feel jealous. I don't want to feel this way because I hate this feeling but it feels like whenever someone gets everything that they desperately want, I didn't. They seem to shove it in my face which makes me feel inferior to them and that I should have accepted just like them.

It took me a while to get over myself because I'm a great school as well. NC State is a well-known university but there are other colleges that don't get recognized because they are not a "name-brand" when compared to others. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if the acceptance rate 25% or even 85%, college is still college. You are still getting an education that will help you in your future.

I really didn't think like this until just recently and the truth is that the real world does not care about what college you end up going to. The things that matter is your degree, extracurriculars, work experience, and your academics. These factors are way more important than whatever seal you have on your diploma. Whether you are at Yale or at a small local college, you just have to put into the work because that's what truly matters.

If you are feeling you chose a school just for the name, then you are experiencing these signs where you feel like you need to transfer to a different college.

1. You don't feel like yourself

First off, if you feel like this, you need to transfer immediately. I am serious because you are going to college for four years and those four years are the most important years of your life because it will pave the way of your future.

If you are feeling unhappy and it's causing you to isolate yourself, or if it's difficult to find friends or find people you click with, it may be time for a change. Everyone thrives and struggles in different environments and that is totally normal. It is just based on how the individual is so you shouldn't change yourself to fit into the school.

That's why you have to find a school that fits you. During this time, it's where you are developing those life skills, confidence, and relationships to help you propel yourself into having a future that you want to have.

2. The school is too expensive

The second thing is the price of attending college. The cost of college has been exponentially rising. Sometimes it's not reasonable to attend a university if you have to take out extensive amounts of loans or get multiple jobs to pay for your academics.

It's common sense that you shouldn't stretch your budget in order to meet a certain expectation or fill an obligation that you have to do. It's honestly okay to say no to colleges because of the cost.

3. There's not a major you're interested in

The third thing is if there's not a major that you are interested at all. I have switched my intended majors so many times from psychology to economics.

Now, I'm planning to major in nutrition science and I honestly think that this major is a perfect fit for me. However, when people are at a college where they don't fit in, no matter how many times they change their major, they're not going to be happy. You should find a college that offers a degree program you are passionate about.

4. When you have the happiest moments in life, you still don't feel like you belong

One of the most important factors is even when you have your happiest moments, you still want to transfer. It doesn't matter if you got an A on a final, you made a new friend, or it's a beautiful day that you get to treat yourself, you still feel like you should be somewhere else.

It is honestly hard for one to stick with it out for the next few years. Also, it doesn't help when you have those not so happy moments.

Overall, no matter what you do in the end, just choose a college that makes me happy and drives you to become a successful person in the future.