Biggest Tip For College: Don’t Get Lazy

Biggest Tip For College: Don’t Get Lazy

Yes, sleeping in may be fun, but getting an A in a class is a way better feeling.

98
Biggest Tip For College: Don’t Get Lazy
Kathryn DeBois

In college, it's really easy to become lazy. Lecture Halls are big, and no professor is really going to care whether or not you do your homework. This is a blessing and a curse.

It's a blessing because for the first time for most people this is the taste of freedom. It allows for days of screwing up, and if I oversleep and miss a lecture I won't be yelled at. It is a great feeling because sometimes there are days when I oversleep a class that I really dislike.

With that being said, there are A LOT OF CURSES TO IT. The biggest curse is that you could fall behind and fail the course. That means retaking it.

The biggest thing about college is accountability and holding yourself responsible to do things that have been shoved down our throats in the past. This includes going to class, doing your homework, taking decent notes, studying, and the list goes on. At times, it can be a challenge, but you shouldn't get lazy.

In college, your professors want you to do well. They won't set you up for failure (at least most of them), but that doesn't mean that they will hold your hand to help you pass voluntarily. You have to initiate the fact that you need help in that course.

It's super easy to think that a class could be an easy A, and not have to put any effort in to get that grade. WRONG! A class could be an easy A if the content is easy or the professor is an easy grader for most things. However, to get that A, you still need to do the work for the class.

This work includes putting in effort on essays, taking your own notes, and studying for the tests. You could have a friend who's taken the course before you to give you their notes, you could have someone send you their study guide for the test, you could even get someone to write you that essay. However, that won't help you in the long run.

Short-term being lazy and oversleeping is one of the greatest feelings in the world. I know it because I have felt it, but there are a lot of cons to it. The biggest con is that you aren't doing the work yourself.

Sure, that may be the point of why you are doing the work. Right? Well, the thing is if you aren't doing the work yourself, that means you are most likely not learning the content.

There are plenty of studies that support this, and it logically it makes sense. When you take your own notes, you retain a certain percentage of the information, when you read it you retain less than if you were to take your own notes. When you take someone else's notes then it's like you're reading the textbook, and you aren't fully retaining that information.

When you don't fully retain that information then you won't be able to show that you know it on tests. That will lead to a bad grade, and if you're like me that bad grade will lead you to feel upset. I know that I personally hate being upset over a bad grade and if you are anything like me you hate feeling that same emotion as well.

Moral of the story, take your own notes in college. Do the study guide by yourself or even with help from others, but don't let them do it for you. If you do this, you're more likely to do better in class, which will lead you to be better off in life. Then you can take that on to wherever you may like.