Thank Your Server For These 5 Important Things

If You Aren't Thanking Your Server For These 5 Things, Save Yourself The Trip And Eat At Home

I promise, when you say "water with extra lemon," we hear you.

193

As a server, it's my job to get you everything, and anything you need and to make your visit as pleasant as possible. After serving over the past 2 years and dealing with every type of guest possible, I have come to the conclusion that some people are just extremely rude… and sometimes not even on purpose.

Regardless of the interaction you have with your server (or any human being for that matter), it should be pretty much common sense to use simple manners our parents engraved in us from the early stages of our lives.

This being said, I'm not quite sure at what point of someone's life did the terms "please" and "thank you" become forgotten.

1. Bringing you a box and bag for your leftovers when you didn’t ask for one.

media.giphy.com

Yes, I see you only ate half of your meal. So yes, I am going to save myself a trip of running across the restaurant when I am actually busy and bring you a box before you even ask for one. Not only am I saving myself a trip, but I'm also going out of my way to get you exactly what you need at that moment without even saying it. It's like I know how to do my job!

2. Somehow allowing you to alter every. single. detail. of a meal to your personal liking.

media.giphy.com

If I can just say...if you don't like what's on the menu, don't go to that restaurant. I understand changing a thing or two on the meal, I do it all the time. Wanna change a salad dressing? Sure. Substitute grilled chicken instead of fried? That's totally fine! But if you order a steak and request to have it sliced thin to perfection with specific seasonings that we don't have and request the chef to make you a signature salad with it, just eat at home.

3. Remembering that you wanted extra lemon, on the side, of your water.

media.giphy.com

I indeed heard the fact that you said you wanted extra lemon (or a lemon in general) with your drink. Not only did I just carry all four of your beverages on my own without even dropping them, but also went back and grabbed you that lemon you so desperately needed, and made clear that it absolutely had to be on the side. I really hope that one extra lemon makes all the difference in your drink! (You're welcome, by the way).

4. Checking up on you and making sure you are okay.

media.giphy.com

I understand that it could be annoying if I go up to your table a few times here and there and ask if you are okay or if you need anything, but it's my job. If you need something specific halfway through your meal, I'll be more than happy to grab it for you. But when I come to your table and ask you how you are, and you respond "fine" following a nasty eye roll, then I'll still continue to "bother" you to make sure you are doing well in another 10 minutes. Again, it's my job. Sorry if it seems like I'm stalking your table, but I am.

5. BRINGING YOU YOUR MEAL.

media.giphy.com

Last, but certainly not least, dropping off your food. Your meal has been prepped to your perfection, you have your extra lemon, and your to-go order that you told me about as soon as you sat down is cooking. But I didn't just burn all the feeling in my fingers from carrying all four extremely hot dinner plates for you not to say thank you.

I know this might seem like I am complaining a bit, which is something I really don't do often. But if you are a server, you understand how frustrating it is to put in 100% effort and courtesy into a table, and not be respected back.

Next time you go out to eat with your friends or family, don't forget to say your "please" and "thank you's". It really does make all the difference in your visit and interaction with your server.

Sincerely,

An extremely frustrated waitress whose tables forgot to use simple manners, who now has burnt fingertips, food covered all over her apron, and an estimated less than 20% tip