Your Journey Is Yours, Don't Judge How Far Along You Are Based On Others

Remember there is no set time for achievement.

87
Corrine Harding

Comparing ourselves to others is so easy to do. We want to be the prettiest, smartest, and the best in everything we do, but this world is a mighty big place with a lot of just as amazing people. The problem is that, no matter how confident you feel, we will all fall into the trap of comparing ourselves to others.

I know I am guilty of it. I feel like I am less-than when someone else has a better job than me, or they got a scholarship I applied for and didn't receive. It is so easy to feel like we are behind or lesser than other people, but this not true at all. We are all on our own individual paths in life, and we can't compare where we are at based on the person next to us.

Success isn't based on this stagnant idea of a "one size fits all" concept. Achieving success is a tailored made fit that looks and feels different for each person. Each accomplishment will take everyone a different amount of time compared to the next.

For example, think about obtaining a college education. Some people graduate in less than four years without a worry in sight, but some people take more than four years to receive that some degree. Does that mean that degree means more or less because it took different amounts of time? No, they still have the same value.

Same goes for us. Just because we finish things at different paces compared to everyone else doesn't mean we are less-than. We need to challenge ourselves to stop getting inside our heads and see who we are as a person.

Have patience with yourself because if you get stuck in this cycle of thinking you are doing something wrong, you will be upset with everything in your life. Know that your life isn't over if you never had a boyfriend, but a person the same age as you is married. Our stories and paths all can't be exactly the same because we are all different people.

We are all supposed to do and live differently, and the sooner we realize it, the happier off we will be. Comparing ourselves to others is a toxic trait we all suffer from, and it can suck the joy and life out of us.

Imagine if we focused less on how we compare to other people, and think about how far we have come individually. We aren't the same person as we were yesterday, and we will be different tomorrow. Life is about pacing ourselves and finding out who we are on our journeys in life.

Whether you run a mile or walk a mile, you still went that same distance. The same goes for life, as long as you keep moving, it doesn't always matter how fast you go. If you go the distance and focus on your goals and things ahead of you, you can achieve things you could never even imagine. It is your life and journey, and no one else can say anything but that.