Don't Change Yourself For Someone Else

Don't Change Yourself For Someone Else

You don't need to fit inside a mold.

1142
Don't Change Yourself For Someone Else
Peyton Lemerand

From personal experience, I changed some of my favorite things about myself for someone else. Why? To make them happy and try to make them accept me. What I realized by doing this, I wasn’t just being different, I was losing who I really am. I might be a little immature, I am not serious all the time and I like to have fun and be goofy. If someone can’t like me for who I am, then why do I chose to be with them? If they do not like me for my true self then I will always feel insecure. I am bold, different and spontaneous and I am done letting a boy decide which qualities are good and which ones I need to change. I am me, and I am happy with me.

We get so caught up in love that sometimes we think we have to change things about ourselves to make someone else happy. Being in a relationship is about making the other happy, but if you can’t make yourself happy in the same note then what is the point? I put aside my happiness because I thought I was happy when really I sacrificed being who I am. I gave up on myself because I thought I couldn’t be good enough for someone. Now I look back and that seems ridiculous. I now know that I will never let someone put me in a mold, I looked in the mirror and I didn't’ recognize who I was becoming. I really did not like that version of myself. I was weak and easily manipulated. I will never swallow my strength for someone again.

The moment everything was over, I thought I could never be happy again. What I learned was that I can be even happier than ever. It was the breath of fresh air I have been needing, but I didn’t know I needed it until I got it. I felt clarity. I had no one judging me, no one correcting me and making me feel insecure. I realized I gave things up that I shouldn’t have, like my freedom. I didn’t know I was unhappy until I felt genuinely happy. I do not feel alone, or sad, I feel like I am me.

Don’t change the way you dress, your hair, your friends or your lifestyle for anyone. Don’t give up on who you are. Being you is the most important thing to hold onto. Rumors and gossip do not define who you are. You define who you are. If you change who you are you will lose sight. One day you will look in the mirror and maybe you won’t like what you have become. Be honest with yourself and always know your worth. Appreciate the person you are. You don’t need someone else telling you that you are not good enough, because everyone is different and has unique and amazing qualities. Don't change for someone, be yourself and the right one will love you.