I Don't Care How Much Money You Want Me To Think You Have, Stop Flexing
Lifestyles

"Flexing" your money is one of the most unattractive things a person can do.

306

Designer clothes, wallets and bags, thick gold chains and bottles of expensive liquor. Nothing screams "I'm loaded!" more than these things right here.

Throughout my entire life, I've had close friends who like to show off every expensive piece of merchandise they own. No matter how much money you have, people will respect you a whole lot more if they weren't so brutally aware of your financial situation.

I wouldn't say my family has a lot of money. We've always lived comfortably; money was never an issue in my family. If it ever was at some point, my parents did a really good job of hiding it.

For Chrismas, each year my sister and I have always gotten one big special thing that we've asked for, and that has always been plenty for us. I hated the kids who would post pictures of each and every present they'd unwrap on Christmas morning- showing off all of the things they got that most kids don't.

There are billions of kids on this earth that don't get anything for Christmas, let alone, ever. If your parents love you so much that they took time out of their day to spend their hard earned money to put a present under your Christmas tree, you better appreciate that and always be grateful.

I learned a valuable lesson from those kids that bragged about their presents: bragging will lead you nowhere in life, it's quite honestly the most unattractive thing a person can do. If you're one of those "I have a lot of money, look at what I can buy" types of people, just stop. If someone came one day and took away all your money and all your designer clothes, what would you have?

At this point in my life, I've realized I'm just not a name brand person. Even if I had millions of dollars at my disposal I still wouldn't spend $10,000 on a necklace. I remember being in middle school when everyone had Juicy Couture tracksuits or their entire wardrobe had to be from Abercrombie. I remember being so obsessed with having to have the label on my clothes as if it actually mattered.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good time. In fact, I've had a great time these past four years of my college career. I've had my fair share of expensive nights out and have definitely had plenty of impulse shopping sprees- there's nothing wrong with that. If you've had your eye on something for a while and finally have the money to buy it, go for it. Maybe you just want to splurge one day and treat yourself, we've all been there (trust me).

In the grand scheme of things, if you aren't truly happy with your life, buying things isn't going to change that.

Now that I'm an adult, having name brand products in my home has a completely different meaning. Wearing designer brands, sporting expensive jewelry and getting bottle service every weekend is the new Abercrombie. It's so important to some people.

But in the end, is it really going to matter? Will anyone really remember that night you spent thousands of dollars at the club? Probably not because everyone was drunk anyways. When people are speaking about you at your funeral one day, what do you want them to say? I guarantee no one will care how many gold chains you had.

So, take a look at that gold chain. You can't take it with you. What you can do is spend your life making a difference in other people's lives. Experiences and precious memories with the people you love, you can take that with you. Those memories will live on forever.