What To Know Before Getting A Septum Piercing

7 Things I Wish I Knew BEFORE Getting A Septum Piercing, Like That It Takes Up To Five Months To Heal

It's not an overnight process.

1755

Almost one year ago I got my septum pierced, and I absolutely fell in love with it.

It's super cute, adds a little edge to your everyday look, and it's really easy to take care of. However, there are a few things you need to know before you decide to get it done.

It’s Probably Going to Hurt

Everybody has different pain tolerances, I've had multiple piercings and tattoos done, but my septum ring was by far the worst. I've heard from some people it wasn't too bad, but you should go in expecting a little pain when it's being pierced.

It’ll Be Sore for a While

Septum piercings usually take about five months to heal. During that time your nose is going to be sore. Moving your ring around or bumping your nose is not going to feel good. This is totally normal. If the pain and soreness continue to be bad after the healing period, then go have it checked out. Just know it's not an overnight process.

It Doesn't Get Easily Infected!

On the bright side, the septum piercing is one of the easiest to take care of and doesn't get infected easily, but with that said, you still need to take care of it and clean it as directed by your piercer. The healing time takes a while but I promise it's actually one of the easiest.

You’re Going to be Called a Bull

This just comes with the piercing. People are probably going to say you look like a bull or something. They might also say it looks like something's dripping from your nose. Just take it lightly, piercings aren't everybody's thing so understand that. Besides, if you're a bull, you're the cutest bull I've ever seen! Septum piercing are in anyway, so it's best just to ignore those comments.

You Won’t Feel it All the Time

People always ask me if I can feel my septum ring all the time, but that's not the case. It's the same as having your ears pierced, after a while, you forget it's there unless you take a look in the mirror. Once it's healed you won't even remember that you have at times.

Getting the Wrong Size Can Hurt

Getting the wrong size or gauge of a septum ring when you can finally switch it out will hurt. I once got one that was too tight and my nose started bleeding when I would move it around. This isn't super common, just make sure you know what size your piercing is so you don't have to go through that. It's no fun having to go to a parlor just to have them take out a ring that's too tight.

No it Doesn’t Get in the Way Of Kissing

People always ask me if it gets in the way when kissing, but it doesn't. I've had one of two people tell me they could feel it while kissing but it didn't bother them, while I've had many many people tell me they didn't feel it at all. So if you're concerned about that, don't be!

Septum piercings are so super cute, but consider these things before deciding if a septum is right for you! Happy piercing!