The Health Industry Makes Billions Of Dollars Off Our Body Insecurities, It Needs To Stop NOW

We've got to start loving ourselves.

63

While being in isolation, I have found myself on my phone far more than usual. Scrolling through social media for countless hours on end has brought something to my attention in a way that it never has been before. The industry of health and wellness presents itself as one that has our best interest in mind when producing products and people for "our health." In reality, it is this very same industry that often feeds off our insecurities to make a buck through weight loss products, videos, workout plans, and anything else surrounding the topic. The thing is, it is clearly working for them considering so much money has been made through following this pattern.

The problem? You mean aside from the fact that this is an industry that turns all body types, genders, and races against each other based solely on appearances and lifestyles? The problem is we as a collective whole have allowed this — even supported it — for far too long. I am equally as guilty as the next person. When I was scrolling through Instagram, TikTok, and any other social media app, I noticed a lot of videos geared toward keeping away "quarantine weight gain" or utilizing this time to get "summer bodies." As if that is the most important thing to be worrying about in life.

Then it hit me. An immense amount of embarrassment, regret, and shame washed over me. I was one of those people.

It wasn't all that long ago that I had written an entire article geared toward getting those "summer bodies" just like the posts I have been seeing. For that, I apologize. I am in no way saying that promoting and advocating for healthy habits is at all bad. However, it is all about the intention behind the message. Yes, if you desire to feel better and change your appearance, then, by all means, do so. But do it for the right reasons.

Don't dislike the body you are currently in because it looks different than someone you saw online.

Everyone has a beautiful and unique body that supports them through the good, bad, and ugly times of their life. These bodies of ours are nothing to be ashamed of. So what, you have stretch marks? You aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last. You have rolls on your tummy when sitting down? Heck, those are all of the memories your body holds from the nights of hanging out with your friends at IHOP at 2 a.m. or the freedom you have to enjoy that cupcake you saw in the bakery window. You're self-conscious because you've been described as looking like a twig? Honey, you're the cutest dang twig I've ever seen, and don't you forget it! Feel like you don't have a bikini (or swim shorts) ready body? Listen up, the only thing you have to do to get that is to put on the DAMN swimsuit and rock it!

You see, our bodies are something to be loved and embraced no matter what stage they are supporting us through. Changes are going to happen and that is OK. My message to all of you is this; lay in bed and eat three donuts two mornings in a row. Wake up one Tuesday and do yoga on your back porch. Whatever YOU feel that your body needs in a given moment, provide that to yourself. There is no set in stone body image or lifestyle that should act as a template for us all. And for all of the people out there promoting get fit quick whatevers along with unrealistic meal plans, wrongly labeled workouts and so on, PLEASE STOP. Working out should be a celebration of our bodies and what they are capable of. Eating should be nourishment for the body, mind, and soul. Not for a certain number on the scale or size tag on our clothing.

If you take nothing else from this article, know this: you are worthy of loving yourself and being loved no matter what your body looks like. We are so much more than our appearances. So enjoy life with a little more love and a lot less self-hatred or hatred toward others.