Let's Talk About New Year's Resolutions

Let's Talk About New Year's Resolutions

Let's stop setting high standards for ourselves that lead to stress and anxiety.

18
Let's Talk About New Year's Resolutions

I really do not think the pressure behind New Year's resolutions is talked about enough. When the clock hits midnight on January 1st, many swear to write off people, lose that extra weight, cut back on foods, better grades, etc. Now to the naked eye, all of these seem like goals that can be easily reached and can only increase our quality of life. And to an extent, that is correct. However, there comes a moment where those resolutions people set become more of a competition than a goal for a healthy mindset.

As the months go by, brunches and get togethers will be planned and questions will be asked. Some will begin to feel guilty for not making as much progress as someone else might have. I think that's an extremely unhealthy thought process to have, we should not worry about others and what they're doing or planning to do. Although, in reality, we do not have much control over what we worry about and have anxiety over.

It is okay to want to improve how we may eat or how active we are in a week, but in how we do it should be talked about a lot more. With every new year I swear to get to my goal weight and every year I am disappointed. And I am sure I'm not the only one who goes through the rollercoaster of emotions that comes with it.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to reach a certain goal over time, however, I think we should look at it with a different perspective.

Instead of setting a final destination that we want to get to, why don't we applaud ourselves for even taking our steps in the process. Why get so worked up that we haven't gotten to whatever the set goal is when we should be proud we even made progress at all?