What Each Enneagram Type Is As A Dog Breed

These make too much sense.

5258
Photo by Camilo Fierro on Unsplash

It seems as though dog personalities can be just as diverse as people. As having had a number of dogs in my family throughout the years, I can decisively say that none have been the same. But each breed comes with certain characteristics and qualities that make them similar - just as people have similar qualities as those with their same enneagram.

Playfully, I've typed my own dogs. Mac (a goldendoodle) is most definitely Type 9, and Coco (a Havanese and Shih Tzu mix) is probably a 6 wing 7. This got me thinking about what other dog breeds would type as… so I did one of my favorite things - I made a list. Dog breeds as enneagram types:

Type 1 “The Reformer” - Husky

Photo by Simon Rae on Unsplash

The American Kennel Club, or The AKC, describes the husky as "fastidious and dignified," making them the perfect match for the rational, and oftentimes perfectionistic, Type 1.

Type 2 “The Helper” - St. Bernard

Photo by JJ Shev on Unsplash

"Saints are famously watchful, patient, and careful with children," is how The AKC describes St. Bernards. St. Bernards were also historically used as search and rescue dogs. This temperament makes St. Bernards a solid choice for the caring and generous Type 2s.

Type 3 “The Achiever” - Border Collie

Photo by Tadeusz Lakota on Unsplash

When I read from The AKC that Border Collies were happiest when they had a job to perform, I knew immediately they would be the best match for the success-oriented and driven Type 3.

Type 4 “The Individualist” - Pug

Photo by Mink Mingle on Unsplash

I had trouble finding a perfect match for the 4, as Type 4s tend to be unique and expressive. Finally, I settled on the pug who, according to The AKC, "has a range of human-like expressions" thanks to their wrinkled brows. This, plus the most unique appearance of the pug, felt like the closest I could come to an accurate match.

Type 5 “The Investigator” - German Shepherd

Photo by Cheryl Cox on Unsplash

This one almost doesn't feel like it needs an explanation, but knowing a Type 5 I'm sure they would like one. The Type 5 is often described as intense and perceptive. The German Shepherd is well known for their work in law enforcement as concentrated and highly observational animals.

Type 6 “The Loyalist” - Golden Retriever

Photo by Helena Lopes on Unsplash

Golden Retrievers are often the dog I picture when I think "man's best friend." The AKC distinguishes the Golden Retriever as "trustworthy and eager-to-please," also referring to them as family dogs. This makes these dogs the perfect representative of the responsible and committed Type 6.

Type 7 “The Enthusiast” - Labrador Retriever

Photo by Mason Hassoun on Unsplash

The Lab is the most popular dog breed in America according to The AKC. And with a temperament described as "friendly, active, outgoing" it is no wonder why. Those same descriptors are often assigned to the fun-loving Type 8, making these two an ideal fit.

Type 8 “The Challenger” - Poodle

Photo by Thomas Summer on Unsplash

Even without researching, I knew Type 8 had to be a Poodle. From my experience, these are proud, willful dogs - The AKC expands further and calls them "wickedly smart." Type 8 is referred to as decisive and self-confident, and I am confident that there is no better suited pairing for these two.

Type 9 “The Peacemaker” - Bulldog

Photo by Sébastien LAVALAYE on Unsplash

The docile and easy-going Bulldog is easily likened to an equally easy-going and agreeable Type 9. The AKC lists the Bulldog's temperament as "friendly, courageous, calm" which could just as easily be a description of the Type 9.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm going to be typing just about every dog I encounter now. Or maybe I'll being comparing people to dogs? I, for one thing, know my mom is 100% a Husky, but…maybe I shouldn't tell her that.