My Obsession With Dogs

My Obsession With Dogs

Keep your circle close, and your dogs closer.

14
My Obsession With Dogs
Kelsey Ross

It’s no secret; everyone who knows me could tell you... I am obsessed with my dogs. Not just my dogs, but all dogs. Every dog that I see. My ideal situation would be owning a house, on acres of land in the country, and having five dogs. I’ve been an animal lover for as long as I can remember. Which turned into me being a pescatarian, animal rights activist for an adult. When I was little I had a cat, a dark grey Russian Blue inbreed. My parents would tolerate just about any animal except for dogs, of course. We adopted the Russian Blue kitten when I was two years old, and named him Ziggy. He had such a personality. As I got older, I had a few hamsters, fish, hermit crabs, frogs, rabbits, turtles, probably just about every animal you can think of - minus a dog. Mama and Papa Ross put their foot down there.

Soon enough I turned nineteen, got married, and moved out of the house. I definitely used that as leverage for my husband to buy me a dog. That’s when I welcomed my first child, Bandit, to the family.

I have never been attached to a living, breathing thing more, in this whole world. I thought I knew what love was when I married my husband, I was so wrong. A month after I got Bandit, he dug his nose around through a friends purse, who was visiting me. Curious little guy ate half a bottle of allergy medication. Before I knew it, he was foaming at the mouth, vomiting everywhere, his body turned purple and it looked like he had bruises all over it. The vet told us that Bandit didn’t have enough white blood cells to fight off the infection that was taking over from the pills he ingested. Or so he thought. My baby spent four days in the hospital, and I swear with every day that passed I felt my heart breaking more. I was already so attached to him, even though it had only been a month or so. However, I was determined that he would pull through this. There was no way he was going to leave me this soon.. (especially because my marriage was falling apart, but that’s a story for another time).. And he did! He’s a fighter, just like his mom. Six years later, that dog is my best friend. There are countless times when I have had no one, and I mean no one to talk too, on days when I really needed it, and at the end of the day.. your dog is always there. Everyone hits low points, bad weeks, bad days.. when you want to be alone, or maybe just vent. That’s what dogs are for. Bandit has seriously seen me cry, and have mental breakdowns more than anyone I know. I’m pretty sure he knows all of my secrets and unworthy thoughts.. and has stuck it out through five “fuck it, let’s move somewhere new” life transitions. I would be nowhere without that smiling face. God knew that I needed him six years ago, and I am so blessed.

Four months ago, I decided to adopt another dog. Mainly because I wanted Bandit to have a brother, a companion so that he’s not lonely, but also just because you can never have enough dogs. So here we have Winston folks; a goofy, one year old ball of energy.

I have never met a more clumsy, exciting and loving dog until I adopted Winnie. They always say that you don’t know the kind of personality you will get, when you adopt. The previous owners could have abused them, or neglected them, which is all true. Your dog could be quiet and scared, or violent and rough. I don’t know how I got so lucky with Winston, but he is the sweetest, kindest dog I’ve ever met. Very loyal and always at your side. Both of my dogs are actually, more loyal than any man I’ve ever had. I wish I could be as happy about anything in life, as Winston is when I give him an ice cube. Or Bandit when I give him a carrot. They act like they just won the lottery every time they hear the refrigerator door open. It’s the simplicity of watching them, and what makes them happy, that I truly envy. They just want to be with me, it doesn’t matter what we’re doing. We could be hiking, having a blast outside one afternoon, or we could be watching TV all day eating carrots and ice cubes, and they would be content because it’s with me. I depend on them and they depend on me, and that’s all that matters. It’s shocking how little you have that with people these days. Value the good relationships you have in your life. Keep your circle close, and your dogs closer.