Getting a dog in college and what to consider

You Need To Consider These 4 Things If You're Thinking Of Getting A Dog While In College

Trust me, I know how hard it is to go for so long without a dog in my life, but if you want to get a dog, you have to make sure that the dog will be happy too.

35

To start off, let's be honest. If you grew up with a dog at home, you probably at least had an inkling of a feeling of wanting to get a dog in college, and I can't blame you.

I have personally seriously considered getting one as well. They can make you laugh no matter how bad of a mood you are in, they force you to exercise at least a little bit, even if you're lazy like me, they don't judge, they're comforting, and they are just amazing companions, or as many people say, man's best friend. All of these reasons make the idea of getting a dog even more compelling, but you also need to consider how this will affect the dog.

1. Do you have enough time to take care of the dog?

If you want to get a dog, you need to have enough time to take it on walks, bathe it, buy supplies for it, train it, and just simply give it attention. If you don't spend enough time with your dog, it will almost definitely result in a bad living situation for the dog, also often resulting in the said dog getting destructive due to frustration.

2. Do you have enough money?

It's been said that the least expensive part of owning a dog is the actual purchase of the dog. This is very true. After getting the dog for likely over $100, you have to buy it some food, toys, treats, annual vaccinations, a collar, a leash, extra cost of having a pet in an apartment, and then there are also those surprise visits to the vet when something goes wrong with your dog. This can add up to hundreds of dollars per year, and often times over $1000. That plus college expenses can be very difficult to manage, even with a job, so it's definitely an important aspect to consider.

3. How often do you like to go out?

Do you like to go out at night to party a lot or do a lot of activities away from home? Well, while you may be able to bring your dog with you to a few activities, not many allow dogs, and you can't just keep a dog locked up in an apartment or crate for multiple hours on end all the time. So, in other words your social life may be a little more limited. Of course, sitting on a couch watching TV with a dog sounds pretty great too though.

4. Do you have enough energy?

No matter what breed or size a dog is, they need exercise. They need to go on at least one walk per day and/or play with a ball for a good amount of time per day. As mentioned before, if they don't get their energy out, they get bored, leading to them becoming destructive. This may sound harsh, but if you don't think you'll be willing to exercise your dogs then getting a dog in college may not be the best option for you.

If you think you can handle all of these different aspects, then go for it! There is a reason dogs are so commonly used as therapy and emotional support animals, and it's because if they are taken care of, they will be one of the most loyal, loving companions you will ever have.