How My Dog Cured My Loneliness

10 Ways My Dog Cured My Loneliness And Became My Best Friend

I had puppies on the brain and I was determined to have a little sidekick.

195
Seventeen Flames Photography

Growing up in a family of six left no room for being lonely. Always a sibling around to annoy me or a parent there to tell me to clean my room. All of that aside, it truly is the best thing in the world to have two sisters, one brother and two supporting parents constantly in my corner. Loneliness was never an option. You can imagine my excitement though when it came time to move into my own apartment. Peace and quiet, nobody to tell me to clean my room, finally some space! That was rather refreshing for the first three months out on my own. Then like a ton of bricks this new feeling in which I was very unfamiliar with set in. Coming home to nobody started to get disappointing. Cooking for just one and not six was difficult. Not getting the routine hugs goodnight from mom and dad was heartbreaking. Talking to myself was becoming a real issue. The solution; a puppy!

I was not much of an animal person and incredibly allergic to dogs. However, I had puppies on the brain, and I was determined to have a little sidekick as soon as possible. After weeks of googling hypoallergenic dog breeds and searching the humane association websites, craigslist, and tons of puppies for sale pages on Facebook. I found her; one out of eleven puppies left. A few weeks later my friend and I made the six-hour road trip to bring her home. Hands down the best impulsive decision I have ever made. I say impulsive because I had no idea what I was getting myself into I just knew it absolutely felt necessary. This beautiful Goldendoodle named Ember very easily became my best friend and instantly cured any sign of loneliness. Here is how.

1. She is always happy to see me

Coming home to the tail wagging excitement as soon as I walk in the house never gets old.

2. Leftovers never go to waste

Cooking for one is still difficult but she rarely has an issue with licking her food bowl clean.

3. She is the best cuddle buddy

Having her snuggled up next to me every night is the perfect replacement to missing my parent's goodnight hugs.

4. Talking to myself is a little less crazy

Because well she's kind of listening.

5. I still get a small dose of annoying siblings

It just comes from her instead and in the form of a headbutt to the face or stolen chicken off the counter.

6. She knows how to stop my tears

The paw on my shoulder or the gentle head nudge is exactly what I need whenever I am upset.

7. Laughter happens daily

Whether it be when she backs up into my bedroom or falls for the classic fake throw when playing fetch, she provides plenty of entertainment.

8. She is always right there

Hearing the gentle footsteps following me from bedroom to bathroom to living room to kitchen and knowing she will be right behind me when I turn around is the most comforting feeling ever.

9. Toys are everywhere

I am suddenly the one telling someone else to clean up knowing full well she never will. (I get it now Mom and Dad) Oddly enough though walking into a house with toys spread out across the floor makes it feel all the more full of life.

10. She always loves me

It doesn't matter how badly I failed at being human that day. She is the most forgiving and loving being I have ever known.

I was doubtful on that three-hour car ride back home with Ember in my lap. What did I just do? I can't raise a puppy on my own! The doubt faded though, as soon as the loneliness did.