Why Dogs are a Man's Best Friend

Why Dogs are a Man's Best Friend

"Not Every Person Knows How To Love a Dog, but Every Dog Knows How To Love a Person" ~ Unknown

21
Why Dogs are a Man's Best Friend
Rare

For more than 7,000 years, dogs have been man's best friend, and they have shown time and again why there is no better friend to have other than a dog. Their steadfast loyalty and love, bravery and companionship are just a few reasons for why they are the best friends we could ever have. Here are a few examples why there is no better companion than a dog.

1. Hachikō

A great example is Hachikō, who was a dog who waited every day for his owner at the train station for his master to return, until one day his master died suddenly and never came home on the train. For the next nine years, Hachikō would return to the station every day and wait patiently for his master to come home. Hachikō is just one example of many of the everlasting loyalty of dogs toward their owners.

2. Hawkeye

After losing his owner and best friend, Navy Seal John Tumilson, Hawkeye, a heartbroken labrador, laid down next to his friend's coffin with a sigh. Hawkeye has become a symbol of loyalty and friendship all over the world.

3. Dorado

On September 21, 2001, Omar Eduardo Rivera, a blind computer technician, was working in the World Trade Center with his guide dog under his desk when a hijacked plane hit the building. With all the chaos in the building, Rivera knew that it would be difficult to evacuate at a time of complete chaos, and he wanted his dog, Dorado, to escape, so he removed his leash. After a few minutes, however, Rivera felt his loyal friend at his feet. With the help of Dorado and a coworker, Rivera was able to descend 70 flights of stairs and get to safety shortly before the tower collapsed. Rivera believes that he owes is life to his loyal friend, Dorado.

4. Greyfriars Bobby

In the 19th century, Greyfriars Bobby was the loyal companion of John Gray. However, in 1858, Gray died and was buried without a tombstone. Still, Bobby was able to find his master's grave, and he stayed there for the next 14 years guarding his best friend's grave only leaving for food and water. The story of Greyfriars Bobby has been known for over 150 years. Many books and movies have been inspired by Bobby as well as a fountain which has been dedicated towards Bobby and his loyalty.

5. Bobbie the Wonder Dog

After getting lost from his owner in Indiana, Bobbie the Wonder Dog became famous and earned his title by traveling 2,550 miles to return home to his owner all the way in Silverton, Oregon. He proved the true meaning of loyalty by returning home to his life-long friend on the other side of the country.

6. Fido

In 1941, an injured puppy named Fido was found and nursed back to health by Carlo Soriani. As a result, Fido became Soriani's life-long companion. Everyday, Fido would come to the town square and greet Soriani after he returned from work. Their routine continued on for many years until in 1943, when the factory where Soriani worked was struck in an air raid. That was the day Soriani was killed, and it was the last day Fido would see his owner. That evening after being disappointed that he never greeted his master, Fido returned home, and for the next 14 years came to greet his owner at the bus stop, but return home alone. Fido has become a symbol of faithfulness all around the world, and for the same reason is the cause of the popular dog name Fido.