A Dog Is Not Just A Pet, They Are Family

To my little furry guy, I will forever miss you.

65
personal photo

I know everyone says that their dog is the best dog, but no MY dog was the best dog. He was a cairn terrier with short little legs that would disappear when he ran around our lawn. His name was Mac and he was our childhood dog that passed a little over 2 years ago. Physically, he was the best looking terrier one had ever seen. He had a salt and pepper coat that would get darker or lighter depending on the season. There was no one he loved more than my mom, but he would always share his cuddles with the rest of the family too. Mac always lit up the room and put a smile on everyone's face and that was the best part about him.

As soon as someone gets a dog, they are immediately a new member of the family. Mac was definitely considered a little brother to all of us. A dog is a loyal companion that is always there to make you smile and snuggle you when you need it. Not only did Mac always need attention, but he always wanted to play. We had a large front yard that stretched so wide and it was perfect for the classic game of fetch.

He was always so fast and hard to keep up with, even though his legs were so short. He always made this funny face when he would retrieve the ball. He would look up at me, turn his head to the side then just open his mouth to reveal a big smile. He loved the outdoors so much and long walks with him were the best. Mac would tug on the leash so hard almost knocking me over, but I just knew it was because he loved exploring. His favorite season by far was winter. I live in Connecticut, where the snow can get extremely high.

Mac would climb the mounds of snow and his little paws would sink right in, leaving only his snout poking out. He loved rolling around in the snow making his own interpretation of a snow angel. Mac would come inside, his coat filled with snowballs that were attached to him, and shake his coat right there in the foyer. My mom would get so mad because he made the foyer a winter wonderland just from shaking.

It was a routine at this point that we all just would laugh at. After dinner, when my mom would be cleaning the dishes, Mac would curl up right by her feet to keep them warm until she was finished. There was never a time where Mac was not included in family activities, his presence was always requested because of the joy he brought everyone.

I think, as a child, I took for granted having a dog a lot of the time. Mac was always there for me no matter what. Whether it was if I had a bad day at school or had a fight with a friend, I can always count on Mac to give me the love he was constantly radiating. The saying is true that you don't know what you had until it was gone. That was exactly what losing Mac was like. I miss getting up from the couch only to see Mac laying across our feet to warm them.

I miss taking him for those long walks he enjoyed so much. I miss giving him bath's that he would always fight me on. I miss squeezing him and him giving me the warmest kisses on my cheek. Above all, I miss coming home and being greeted by my little furry guy. Mac was much more than a pet because he was family. I ask you all with dogs to take a moment and give your pup a squeeze. Give them endless attention and love because they deserve it.

Treat them to walks and foods that they love to snack on. Most importantly, care for your dog like they are family because losing them hurts just as much. To my little furry guy, I miss and love you dearly and I know you are up there wagging your cute little tail. Thank you for always keeping our feet warm.