Little Dog, Big Problems

Little Dog, Big Problems

There are ups and downs.

14
Little Dog, Big Problems
Leung Cho Pan

I have a little white Havanese dog named Lucky, or as most people call him, Little Dog. We got him a few years back from some family friends, and he is now officially ours. Now I'll be the first to say that Little Dog isn't my favorite. Within the first month we had him, he chewed up my glasses, peed on my SAT prep books, and -- the worst crime of them all -- took attention away from my other dog and best friend, Dusty. My sister and mom quickly grew attached to this Little Dog, and it became known that he was going to be with us for the long run.

There are a lot of things that bother me about Little Dog. First, he still isn't trained. He's over three years old and he still defecates in the house. Come on; you know better than that! He waltzes around the house like he owns the place. He also follows you absolutely everywhere. Whenever I turn around, I can spot his beady little eyes glowering at me. He is one of those dogs who can't stand being alone. I will be walking around the house and he'll follow me like a shadow wherever I go. It gets pretty annoying.

This dog also loves food. Yes, you can say that's the same with all dogs, but I can guarantee most don't act like Little Dog does. He will whimper at your feet and scratch your leg repeatedly. Sometimes, if he doesn't get his way, he will bark at you until you feed him. He acts so entitled that it's insane. He refuses to go to the bathroom outside unless he is taken on a walk down the street. I can't take him on a walk all the time, so I try to take him around the lawn, but that isn't good enough for Little Dog. If you don't take him where he wants to go, he will sit in his place and pull back on his leash until you have to pick him up because he won't move.

He is extremely afraid of everything. If I go to throw something out in the garbage can, he runs away and refuses to come near. If I open a water bottle, he jumps ten feet in the air. It's ridiculous.

There are a lot of things that irk me about Little Dog, but he is a character. He has a playful personality and has cool quirks. He loves chewing on hair bands and throwing socks around the room. He will pick up a sock and come to you to play tug-of-war. He jumps on the bed and buries himself under the covers while crawling around to uncover himself. He likes trying to dig holes in the floor of the house for no reason. Although he annoys me to no end, I've come to somewhat appreciate him. He's fun and cute. Don't get me wrong, he is still super obnoxious, but he's my dog and he's part of the family.