Do What You Want With Your Hair

Do What You Want With Your Hair

Even when beauty magazines tell you not to.

86
Do What You Want With Your Hair
Huffington Post

High school was a rough time for me in terms of body image and self-perception. I went to a performing arts high school where I majored in dance all four years. I had barely had any training in dance before going to this school. Along with being self-conscious about my skill in class, I also had to stuff my plus sized ass into tights and a leotard almost every day. Surrounded by petite girls who could lift their legs to their head and not bat an eye, it was hard to feel pretty and feminine. So I spent most of high school growing my hair out into the longest mane I’ve ever had.

A fun fact about me: I hate having long hair. I have the privilege of having thick hair and a lot of it. Just shampooing my hair took me 15 minutes in the shower. But I bought into the idea that fat girls couldn’t have short hair. At the very start of high school, I took a leap and cut my hair into a pixie so long I don’t think it can even be classified that way. I loved it, but seeing my short hair and my body together in the mirror during ballet class made me feel like a blimp. So long it became.

The summer before I went to college, I decided to have a fresh start with my hair. I didn’t have to dance around in tight clothes anymore, it seemed like the perfect time to do it. I could be a girl with short hair, even a cool and edgy girl.

Look who’s too cool for her old preppy haircut! I got it in my head that I wanted an undercut, and an undercut I got. I was still nervous about whether or not I’d be able to pull something like this off, so I kept my hair a little longer so that I could cover it up if it wasn’t for me. When I got to St. Kate’s, I felt so happy and comfortable. I was able to start feeling confident in myself in a way I hadn’t before. I could look in the mirror and say, “You know what? I am cute, I look good” and really mean it. This new attitude allowed me to get the shortest haircut I’d ever had.

I had never felt so free, I didn’t have any hair touching my neck! I was so happy, and I felt pretty with it. I didn’t look like I had a small head compared to my body like all those beauty articles warned me I’d have! I was amazed at my new shower time compared to when I had my hair long. Aside from my feelings of joy, though, I was so upset with myself for not allowing myself to have something like this sooner. My carefree hair outlook got me thinking that I could do anything I wanted with myself, I didn’t care about what people thought was “slimming.” So I dyed my hair purple because I liked the color.

I walked into the salon feeling a little nervous about it. No matter how many times I had told myself I’d like it, I still had that lingering thought of “What if I can’t pull it off? What if I’m not trendy enough to do it?” I walked out of the salon a little more in love with myself. I was (and am) trendy enough for a purple undercut! I kept my hair this color from spring to summer, I loved it but I didn’t have to money to keep getting my roots covered up. I wanted to dye my hair a fun color again, but the experience of frequent haircuts and fast growth in my roots made me decide that if I wanted to dye it again, it had to be longer. That summer began the dreaded grow out.

I somehow managed to keep it looking okay. There were periods in the beginning where I almost gave up and just cut it again, but I held strong. From the day I decided to grow it out to when I dyed it, it had been a year and one month. Thinking back on it, I don’t know how I did it. But one year and one month later, I was finally able to dye it again.

This was another moment of worry—could I pull off gray hair? But I sucked it up and went in for my five hour hair appointment. This was the worst bleaching that I’ve ever had; it burned so badly that I was squirming the whole time. I somehow made it through and came out with a hair color that I loved. I woke up the next morning with little holes in my scalp that were on their way to scabbing over. I decided that day to not bleach my hair for awhile, I could live with box dyes once I was done with the gray. I loved my color, but got tired of the length very quickly. I promised myself that once my products to maintain the gray had run out, I could cut my hair off again. I kept my gray hair for five long, neck tickling months. The day I realized that I only had one more application worth of product, I immediately made a hair appointment.

In those five months, I decided I wanted a true pixie cut. The two times I had cut my hair short, I had enough of it long in the front that I could still curl it if I wanted to. I wanted to take the big plunge and give my face nothing to hide behind.

I have never felt as free and beautiful as I do right now with this pixie cut. It’s an incredibly masculine cut, but I feel prettier with it than I ever did with my hair halfway down my torso. It’s been a long journey to this moment, around six or seven years. Looking back on where I started, I feel like I’ve made 15 year old Emily proud. Most of all, I’m just excited not to think a bug is crawling on me when it’s really just my hair.