Do Not Mistake My Kindness

Do Not Mistake My Kindness

Be kind to one another.

27

"The world is filled with nice people, if you cannot find one be one."

Ever since I was little, I had a reputation for being the kind one in the group. You were hungry? I would give up my lunch for you. Needed a ride somewhere? I would sacrifice sleep just to make sure you got home safe.

However, as I have gotten older I have met people who clearly mistake my kindness for weakness. They could not be any more wrong.

You see, the reason kind people are the way they are is because they have experienced unkindness and challenges because of people who do not react the same. They know what it's like to be on the receiving end of jokes, mean comments or pranks that cross the line.

This is not an article telling you to be mean to these people or to stop being kind. In fact, it is the complete opposite.

In kindergarten, we all hear the Golden Rule: "Do onto others as you would want onto you." While I am by no means not perfect, I believe in that rule wholeheartedly. No matter what actions are done onto me, I try to treat others the way they would ultimately want to be treated.

Some think I am guilty of letting others walk all over me. Others admire this trait in me, yet think it is ultimately going to hurt me. Maybe they are both right, but I will not change my behavior.

My goal may be a little bit over the top, but I ultimately want to be part of the solution to unkindness in this world.

I do not believe nastiness or unkindness comes from mean people. On the contrary, I believe that nastiness comes from people who have been shown unkindness. The only way to break the cycle is to show kindness to everyone that you meet.

Ellen DeGeneres is famous for saying, "Be kind to one another," at the end of every taping of her show. While the message may be simple, it is one that has the ability to make a huge difference. In today's world we are conditioned to act tough in order to protect ourselves from being hurt. However, when we are being kind we are showing others what is beautiful in the wold.

What could be better than that?