10 Things You Must Do If You Are In Florence, Italy

Make the most of your trip to Italy.

253
Flickr.com

1. Watch the sunset at Piazzale Michelangelo.

Crack open a bottle of wine, grab some cheese and crackers, and head to Piazzale Michelangelo for the perfect end to a day spent in Florence. The view of the city as the sun is setting is like no other, especially with the live music playing in the background.

2. Eat in the Central Market.

Pasta, pizza, seafood, you name it, the Central Market has all of the traditional Tuscan cuisine. If you are in need of a quick, yet delicious and memorable meal, the Central Market is calling your name. It is not a place to miss if you find yourself in Florence.

3. Shop in the leather markets.

The city of Florence is known for its fine leather. With the immense amount of belts, jackets, bags, and countless souvenirs found in the leather markets, strolling through can seem a bit overwhelming at first. However, you are always bound to leave with a good buy. You can even work in your bargaining skills!

4. Climb the Duomo and Bell Tower.

There is no better way to take in the beauty of Florence and get some of the best views than from the top of the Duomo or the Bell Tower. Trust me, the sights from the top are completely worth climbing up 463 steps, you will not be disappointed.

5. Aperitivo.

Aperitivo is basically a small appetizer that is typical of everyday life in Florence. For a very cheap price, usually, no more than ten euros, the restaurant sets up a small unlimited buffet, which is accompanied by a drink of your choice. Most people order a spritz, which is an orange drink mixed with soda water, Aperol, and prosecco. Some of my go-to Aperitivo places include Oibo and Moyo, located near Piazza Santa Croce. Aperitivo is a great way to act like a local of Florence.

6. Eat your weight in gelato.

You wouldn't really be in Italy if you didn't consume multiple gelatos each day. In Italy, calories don't count, so never question if you should go for your second (or third) gelato of the day, I would do the exact same thing. A few fan favorites include Gelateria de Neri, Eduardo, and La Carraria.

7. Take a cooking class.

Although you can't take the actual cuisine back home with you (Devastating, I know), you can take a cooking class and master the art and secrets of Italian cooking. Taking a cooking class teaches you the proper way to make pasta, pizza, tiramisu, and all of the other dishes typical of Italian cuisine and to become your own personal Florentine chef

8. Do a wine tasting in Fiesole.

One of my favorite memories from my experience in Florence was the day trip that I took to a vineyard in Fiesole, only a twenty minute car ride outside of the city center of Florence. After touring a beautiful Tuscan vineyard, sit down, relax and sample some of it's different types of wine, of course accompanied with different assortments of finger food.

9. Visit the David.

Along with all of the museums and sculptures around the city, you cannot come to Florence without visiting one of the most popular sculptures in Renaissance art, the David. Make sure to have that selfie stick ready to get that perfect picture with the one, the only, David. He's quite handsome, isn't he?

10. Find the secret bakeries.

After a long night out at the lively bars and clubs of Florence, there is no better way to end the night than with a delicious pastry from the secret bakery. Hence the word "secret," these bakeries are hidden in the streets of Florence, open in the late hours of the night. The only way to find them is to "follow your nose." Once you stumble upon these hidden gems and try the tasty 1 euro croissants, all of the searching will certainly pay off.