Divided Together

Divided Together

Choose your side.

27
Divided Together

I’ve tried to write this article many times. I start writing this article, but by three paragraphs I feel like I’m not writing what I believe. I get stuck in the midst of all this. Right now, I’m here to push the message forward, “United we stand, divided we fall.” It’s a common phrase seen in propaganda from World War Ⅱ, repeated in books like J.K. Rowling’s "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ," songs like “Last Wordz” by Tupac, and shows like "The Power Rangers." It’s practically a cliché, overused by medias across the board, yet here I am bringing forward this message once again. After so long, why does a message like that even matter now?

Well…

This is a nation that thrives on being divided. This nation lives for being able to put people on various sides of a spectrum, and I don’t mean this as a constant two-sided argument. Division is not always just a one on one argument, but it also has its many sides that can go into an argument. For a very simple example, what’s the BEST fast food restaurant? There are so many arguments, albeit minor arguments, that will come into play here because there are so many separate fast food restaurants. Nonetheless, food preference brings out its own division, again a minor division. Now, take this and amplify it to a higher degree. Political parties. Which one is the best? Is there really an answer for that?

Regardless of your party affiliation, or no affiliation for that matter, one issue still remains. Division does not help any of us. To sit here and look at one another saying that one is right and the other is wrong is foolish. We are foolish. We will be the cause of our own demise with this behavior that is forcing us to divide further and further until this nation is no more. We have to handle situations together, live TOGETHER. I’m repeating this message, I know. I’m well aware of it, but it’s become the only standpoint I have left before I fall in between this divided nation.

Did you believe that?

Was I able to convince you of staying together?

Now, let’s face it. Promoting the idea of “sticking together” and “working it out” is a bunch of garbage. How ridiculous am I to attempt to push this plan that we will be okay as long as we all join hands and try to hold our nation together? How incredulous is it o believe that there is an actual possibility of solving our problems together?

I’m not saying that we just give up from here, pack up our opinions, and head on home. No, of course not. I’m saying that at this rate we are so far into this divide that we have no choice but to fight for the sides that we’re on. People talk about staying together, but when they say that it’s mainly aimed at those who are already on their side. No matter the issue, the thought of sticking together is focused on the people who are already together. Don’t mistake my words, sticking together with people who think exactly like you is a great thing. Why bother being around anyone who doesn’t think like you? It’d be torture.

So stick with the like-minded people around you, and fight against those on the other side of this nation’s divide. Protest, write, speak out against what you believe in. There is no working things out anymore. We’re in too deep into this divide already, right? We have no choice. We’ll fight for what we believe in, and there is no one, no group, no administration that can get keep us from making a stand.

Did you believe that?

What’s right at this point?

I'm not too sure anymore.