Diversity: Fashion Week's Biggest Trend

Diversity: Fashion Week's Biggest Trend

The clothing shown on the runway isn’t the biggest talk this year.

35
Diversity: Fashion Week's Biggest Trend
Quartz

New York Fashion Week may have wrapped up, but the clothing shown on the runway isn’t the biggest talk this year. Instead, the 2016 Fashion Week will be known for its array of diverse models. For years, fashion has received criticism for its lack of diversity, and we’ve all opened a magazine to see the same thin, pale faces staring at us. Recently, though, designers are shaking it up with fresh faces from all over the world of different sizes, ages and abilities.

The past few New York Fashion Weeks have seen a gradual increase in color, and while white models are still leading model castings, designers such as Zac Posen put on a more diverse fashion show this past week. According to CNN, 25 of Posen’s 33 models were women of color, and Posen even took the movement to Instagram to post a picture of himself holding a tote bag saying “black models matter."

Posen’s show wasn’t the only one to display diversity, though. French designer, Sophie Theallet, not only cast an array of culturally diverse models, but also cast plus size model, Candice Huffine, along with 50-year-old supermodel, Veronica Webb. Naeem Khan also branched out in age diversity by partnering with the Make-A-Wish foundation and had 11-year-old Trinity Faith Moran walk in a custom designed gown. According to Aol. Moran had always wanted to walk in New York Fashion Week, and when Kahn caught wind of this idea from the foundation, he immediately jumped to give her the opportunity.

Brands such as FTL Moda and Chromat are known for embracing diversity, and their Fall 2016 collections were no letdown. In 2015, Fashion Week made history with the casting of Madeline Stuart, the first professional model with Down Syndrome to walk the runway of New York Fashion Week. For the 2016 show, the 19-year-old once again graced the runway for FTL Moda. Moda also featured amputee models, including Rebekah Marine, along with cancer survivor Fausto Di Pino. Lauren Wasser, a model who lost her leg due to Toxic Shock Syndrome, also walked the runway for the first time for Chromat (you may know them as the brand who made costumes for Taylor Swift and her squad in "Bad Blood"). According to The Dapifer,

Chromat also had plus size model Denise Bidot rock the runway, along with a large range of different races

While Fashion Week 2016 made history, let's hope the diversity trend will continue to grow every season. More and more brands are turning to men and women that defy the model standard, and maybe more brands should take a hint; after all, they are designing for everyone.