Disney Has A Diversity Issue

Disney Has A Diversity Issue

Disney has trouble finding actors of color but there is a large pool for them to choose from.

2259
Disney Has A Diversity Issue
Vimeo

Disney movies were some of my favorite movies growing up but there is a lack of diversity in the films. The films are iconic due to their tales of heroism that resonates with people across many age groups but they are not known for their racially diverse casting or storytelling. The first Disney princesses of color came in the 1990s with young audiences being introduced to Jasmine, Pocahantas, and Mulan, and the first black disney princess, Tiana, was introduced to us just a couple years ago in 2009. Disney has been producing films for decades and has only included diversity in their films in recent years. They also seemed to have this issue when it was reported that they were having trouble casting for live action version of 'Aladdin'. There is not a lack of actors and actresses of color but there is a problem with Hollywood casting.

There has been and always be a large pool of actors of color, looking for opportunities to showcase their talent. As a person who comes from the performing arts world, I have been to numerous auditions and have seen people from all walks of life at these auditions. When a casting call or audition is announced, especially for a major company, like Disney, thousands of people will flock to it, even if there are certain age or race criterion. The audition process can last as long as weeks or months because producers and directors have to evaluate many people before finding the perfect fit or they have many options or potential perfect fits. However Disney's alleged excuse for not finding an actor of color for Aladdin was that they could not find someone who could sing and act. Disney's troubles show us that Hollywood is still struggling to be as diverse as they should be.

Art imitates reality and the reality is that we are all different colors and races. In order to accurately display that, we need to have accurate representation. White washing in Hollywood not only tells a false narrative but also disregards the stories told by people of color. Casting directors are quick to cast white actors in films meant to be played by actors of color such as Scarlett Johansson in "Ghost in The Shell" and Emma Stone in "Aloha" and claim that they have trouble finding actors of color. It is sad to think that even in today's day and age we still favor white actors when they already have many more opportunities than actors of color. It seems like the only way for actors of color to be hired is when the director is a person of color as well. Ava DuVernay, a black director, did this when casting for her upcoming film, "A Wrinkle in Time". Her cast includes many actors of color although the novel that the film is based on does not have race specifications. However Hollywood should not rely of directors of color to find or cast actors of color. It should be something that does not need consideration unless there are certain restrictions for roles.

Hollywood has come a long since being a predominately white washed industry but it still has progress to make. Actors of color are always looking for opportunities, but they just need the opportunities to present themselves.