Why Disney Should #GiveElsaAGirlfriend

Why Disney Should #GiveElsaAGirlfriend

Love is an open door.

10
Why Disney Should #GiveElsaAGirlfriend
Disney

A few weeks ago, the hashtag #GiveElsaAGirlfriend gained major traction on Twitter, and for good reason.

Disney's Oscar-winning film "Frozen" has been suggested to be a metaphor for coming out for some time, and now fans have taken to the Internet to urge the media giant to openly depict its first queer princess in the sequel.

The hashtag was started when Twitter user Alexis Isabel first tweeted it.

She later wrote a piece for MTV about why she issued this challenge to Disney, and her words lit a social media fire with thousands of others tweeting the hashtag as well.

"No one deserves to feel isolated and confused about who they are," she wrote. "All we need is someone to show us that there are other options, other kinds of princesses, and other ways to have the happy ending that you deserve."

However, not everyone has been in support of the idea of a princess falling in love with another princess. Recently, religious groups and media outlets have criticized the hashtag, saying a lesbian relationship goes against traditional family values and children should not be exposed to it. One group even started a petition, which now has nearly 120,000 signatures, urging Disney to not "give into the pressures of the liberal agenda."

A lesbian princess in the sequel to the highest grossing animated film in history would be a monumental step in promoting positive queer representation in mainstream media. Showing little girls and boys that love comes in many forms and is always beautiful can be nothing but beneficial, and what a better company to lead the way than the one that has produced countless children's classics?

Disney has depicted young women falling in love with beasts and bees, but has yet to show a queer relationship. Last year, the company failed GLAAD's standards for LGBT representation, showing no LGBT characters in its 12 movies released. Now is the time to change that track record.

Little girls should know they don't need to fall in love with a prince to have their happily ever after. The eyes of the next generation stay locked on Disney movies, and it is Disney's responsibility to depict unconditional love and acceptance in all forms for those young eyes to see.