Disney Depression Is Actually Real

Disney Depression Is Actually Real

Missing some special kind of Disney Magic.

66
Disney Depression Is Actually Real
Gina Petruzzi

Disney depression is an absolute real thing. People who have never done the Disney College Program don't get it. It's the hardest thing in the world to explain. You get this feeling that every single day you wake up and you should be in Disney. Saying goodbye was the hardest thing in the world. Not only did I have to say goodbye to some of the best friends, but I also had to say goodbye to a place that has some magic to it that is like no where else in the world. That's something I haven't been able to find since I have gotten home.

Although my job had its moments that I hated, there was just something about working for the mouse that made it special. I could say a million words to describe the Disney depression but people who haven't done the DCP still may not get it. More than anything, I miss the magic. My friends and I could create magic together. That is what made the friendships so special. We had a connection that you can only make in Disney. We bonded over magic.

People of all ages felt the Disney Magic and I felt responsible for creating some of it. To me, that was special and until you work for Disney, you never really get it. I have lots of magical moment stories from my time in Disney and they mean more to me than anything. I got to bring birthday princesses cupcakes hand delivered by the mouse. I got to high five cool dudes when they told me they rode all the fast rides. I even got to see people I didn't know who were friends with people from my town 1,045 miles away and they were told to look for me. Those are things that you can't make up. Those are things that don't just happen everywhere! Every single day I think of all the magic I got to create on my journey and it makes me sad. But not the kind of sad you'd think. It's the kind of sad when you miss something. The kind of sad when you wish you could relive something. The kind of sad when you miss some of the best days of your life. Disney depression is a real thing. And for everyone who tells me to get over it, I won't get over it. It's been almost a year now and I'm not over it. It is a journey that is going to stick with me for the rest of my life. It is one that I will never forget. I could talk about Disney for hours and how much I miss it, how much I learned and how much of an amazing experience it was. It was the experience of a lifetime. But for now I'll leave you with one thing. Until you experience the magic, don't dull someone else's sparkle. People who have worked for Disney have a special sparkle. Let it shine on. We won't dull yours please please don't dull ours. Everyone has something that makes them happy. For some people it's a little Disney Magic.