Dark Disney Trivia

Dark Disney Trivia

Some messed up things you probably didn't know about.

420
Dark Disney Trivia
www.pynkjewellery.co.uk

Disney is known for being not only the founder of one of the happiest places on earth, but also making some of the best animated films of all time. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney films and the parks. However, one doesn’t really think of the sometimes dark side that resides within this otherwise bright and family friendly company. Here is some disturbing and dark trivia that you probably didn’t consider or didn’t even know about the multi-million company.

"Beauty and the Beast" implies that the Beast was not only a mean and evil person, he could have also been a murderer.

Ah yes. "Beauty and the Beast." One of the most beloved fairy tales the world has ever known. So much so that back then, Disney decided to take a crack at it and make their own version of the fairytale. Remember the scene where the Beast tells Belle that the west wing is forbidden? Besides that flower being hidden in this room, what other reason would there have been to not show it to her? It’s not as if she could have done anything to ruin the Beast's plans dealing with the curse. All except not fall in love with him of course. Nonetheless, something darker resides in the potential fact that the west wing was forbidden.

If we actually take a look at the hallway all the way down to the room itself, the west wing is full of broken objects. This is the only place that seems to be in complete disarray. Since Belle was a big reader, she may have read the tale of Bluebeard, a tale very similar to Belle’s current situation at the time. Which leads us to believe that was reason she went to check the west wing, knowing it was forbidden. Due to his huge anger problem and animalistic nature brought in by the curse, the Beast may have murdered some of his servants and stored the bodies in the west wing thus leading to a pretty dark theory that the Beast was not only a person who possessed a huge temper, he could have also been a murder.

The first woman who applied to Disney as an animator was turned down, simply and only because she was a woman.

Now, now, I know what you all are thinking. This means Disney is sexist. Not necessarily true since times have changed since 1938. Though I do agree that Disney could have afforded to be more forward thinking in the sense that it didn’t matter that she was a woman, we still have to remember the timeline and how there was a class struggle. Though women were fearless and broke down political and social barriers, this doesn’t mean every company at the time was willing to go along with those changes.

Women were still fighting to have the same equal rights that a man had, even their jobs. What makes this so ironic however, is that when the woman received her letter of not being considered, it was typed out on "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" stationary. This featured Snow White on the top of the page and the evil old witch at the bottom. Two women featured on stationary to a woman who would not receive a job as a future animator for Disney. I don’t care what time frame this stemmed from, it was still a cold move by Disney.

Actress Adriana Caselotti who voiced Snow White never worked a day in her life again.

Again, I know I’m coming off sort of strong here with the anti-feminine side of Disney in the 1930’s, but due to the fact that this is an article about disturbing trivia and the length of the article, I had to narrow it down to not only ones that were interesting but also ones that raised a lot of eyebrows. Obviously, not in a good way.

The actress was payed what is now in most cases to current job holders only $970 - under the condition that she would never voice for another movie or company ever again. According to CPI inflation calculations, this would be a total of $16,182.56 for three months of work by today’s standards. The actress was not even credited for the voice acting. Back in the 1930’s none of the actors were ever credited until 1948. This was only because Disney was interested in preserving Snow White as an actual person and much less about giving credit to the voice actors. They felt that doing so would dehumanize Snow White to being nothing more than a character and not a real person. To put this in simpler terms, at 18 years old, she was blacklisted. The actress then sued Disney unsuccessfully, and remained loyal even after the case proved unfruitful in her favor.

Mickey Mouse in hell.

According to some sources, there is a nine-minute cartoon that exists of Mickey Mouse walking through hell. When the tape was originally found, it had only run for two minutes in what was supposedly the duration of the film. No one thought it was anything special as the two minutes of the film depicts Mickey in a city landscape looking depressed. This was until an employee, Leonard Maltin, was transferring cartoons from the early 30’s. The cartoon was originally nine minutes in length. Maltin then decided to watch the cartoon in its entirety. After a moment in complete darkness, the cartoon then comes back with what sounds like strangled cries, gurgling and growing louder by the minute. Mickey goes from being depressed to wearing a demonic smile. The picture then starts distorting. At the seventh minute, the strangled cries turn to uncomfortable screams with images growing more warped and weird. Colors that were not possible to reproduce at the time bled throughout the film and Mickey’s smile becomes even more sadistic. The screen then starts to stretch out in inhumanly ways while the buildings come tumbling down, resulting in piles of rubble floating in the air.

The images became too disturbing for him, so he stopped at seven minutes, sending another worker to finish the job. He then told the worker to take notes on the last two minutes of the film. The notes contained screaming that continued to get louder and louder after eight minutes, and then the video cuts back to Mickey’s original smiling face. Apparently, there is an extra 30 seconds after that no one except that employee knew. He walked out of the room traumatized, repeating several times “real suffering is not known,” then took the guard's gun and shot himself afterwards. The only thing known about those last 30 seconds was from the scribbled notes of the dead employee: A Russian phrase that roughly translated to “the sights of Hell bring its viewers back in.” Does this really exist? Supposedly the video exists somewhere on YouTube, but after researching this, I don’t want to watch it. For the ones that do, watch at your own risk.

"Pirates of the Caribbean" had real skeletons and still has human bones.

When the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride opened in 1967, imagineers were displeased with how unrealistic the bones were. They decided to ask UCLA's medical school to give them cadaver skeletons so that the ride would look more “realistic.” When word got out that real skeletons had been placed into the ride, many guest were left quite unsettled at this startling and true revelation. Disney then decided to replace the skeletons with true life-like replicas of the originals though it appears that not all of the bones were removed. In the scene where the fake skeleton is in the bed with a magnifying glass, the headboard still contains real bones. This has lead guests to believe that even though mostly all of the real skeletons were replaced, some people believe the ride is haunted.

While some of these theories could be debated, it proves Disney has its fair share of having a dark past hidden behind a good name.