Discovering What You Want To Do In Life As a Career

Finding what you want to do in life as career can be a complex thought process, so it's important to start thinking about it now.

244
Pexels.com

I feel one of the biggest challenges that every young adult goes through is finding out what they want to do with their life. Everyone wants to do something they love for the rest of their life that can support the lifestyles they want to live and make them happy at the same time. A career that can feed the family, build the dream house, and leave a little bit of cash on the side for fun and games.

It’s a simple question, yet one of the biggest at the same time and I still worry about it a lot.

I assume most have had this thought prickling through their mind since high school, at least I have, about where they're gonna end up in life. I've always wondered what type of life I'll end up living and whether or not it's actually where I'd want to be. I don’t want to be poor or struggling, and I don’t want to settle for anything either.

I want to live a successful and comfortable life where I have all the core fundamentals of what my perfect life entails. An above average house I didn’t have to settle for, a wonderful wife, kids I can give my knowledge to, a dog I can cherish, and a job that makes me happy and pays well.

We all have a dream of what type of life we want to have and where we want to be, no matter how ambitious.

But the question still remains; "how do I find out what I want to do for a career?" Whether it’s your grandfather asking you about it over Thanksgiving dinner or your parents pestering you about it, the thought process can be exponentially complicated.

A great starting point is determining what makes you the most passionate. These are the activities you've always enjoyed and had a great time engaging in. They're the things that make you happiest, and if you’re truly passionate about them, you'll do whatever it takes to create a way to support yourself financially off of them.

For me, it’s been music and writing. I can start writing or creating a song and spend over six hours constantly working on them without thinking about anything else, let alone how much time is passing. They offer me an escape into a world where I am the only occupant, and the words and influences of others have no play in what I’m writing or producing.

It’s factors like these that really call me and tell me what I want to do for the rest of my life. I know I’m passionate about them enough that I'll do whatever it takes to put myself in a position to where I could make a living off them.

Another way to answer the bold question of what you want to do for a career is determining what type of work life you want to have. Do you want to work from home? Do you want to travel? Do you want to have the same cookie-cutter nine to five schedule five days a week?

Whatever it may be, a great way you can narrow down what type of career you want is thinking about the type of lifestyle you want to live and whether it’s worth the time you’re putting in for that profession.

Of course you should never give up on making your passions into a career simply because it won’t give you the filthy rich lifestyle you may desire, but it’s something to consider when you’re attempting to map out the direction you want to take in life.

All things considered, whatever you want to do for the rest of your life should be something that makes you happy and proud. You shouldn’t be waking up dreading to go to work or feeling sad that you’re in a position you don’t want to be in. Surely no one wants that, so it’s best to start planning or thinking about what you want to do now so you can start pointing yourself in the right direction.

As young adults, what we do now can make a tremendous impact on our futures and what direction we may be able go in. If you love something, pour your heart into it and let it drive you to make something great out of it. It’ll put you on the path to ending up where you want to be in your life, rather than settling for anything you can get.